icon

solder or not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Jmeese 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 8:14 AM / IP Logged  

I got a universal spade connector package and have two sizes of spade connectors that fit on my new speakers.  They don't lock on, should I solder these connectors on or just crimp them down so they are snug?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
Can't you get the proper size terminals? If you are going to solder them on, just solder the wire to the terminals - it'll be easier to remove later, if necessary... If not, and you are just going to crimp them down so they fit, go get the right size terminals so you don't have to bodge it together - do it right the first time. The proper terminals are out there, it may take a little searching, but they are there...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  
I bought every size terminal that home depot had and none of them fit exact.  I am going to look at best buy today.  If I can't find there I may just solder.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
try an actual car stereo place, tell them exactly what you need them for and they will know or have the xact size in stock.  Support your local business's, not the corporate big shots if possible.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  
I even looked on alpines site and they did not have the sizes in the specification sheets.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
That's impossible.  There are connectors for any size wire.  What gage are you using?
Support the12volt.com
Jmeese 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

No not the wire the actual female spade connector does not fit on the spade of the speaker.  The positive is one size and the negative another.  I have a couple that fit on but they don't lock.  Then went to best buy and the installer gave me a few to try and I almost snapped off the negative terminal on the speaker.  I am going to solder them tonight.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
OH, you're talking about the push-on solderless disconnects at the speaker terminals.  Yes, sometimes they are hard to find but they are available.  HERE's a selection.  In any case, soldering to the speaker terminals is a fine idea for car audio.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

Order the following packages:  http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=095-282

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=095-286

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=095-280

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=095-287

When you use the proper connector it WILL be a snug fit.  It's best to use a pair of needlenose pliers to hold the base of the terminal spade while pushing the F-disconnect onto it...especially the very small .110" size negative terminal.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2005 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  
Or the cheap lazy way, use a terminal just larger than the male end & LIGHTLY crimp it in place - works fine & last indefinitely, but you risk shorting or breaking if you're not careful.  Best to heat shrink over it if for no other reason other than hide your transgressions...
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic