icon

How Did It Blow?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jettagli03 
Copper - Posts: 311
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have an Orion H2 15 (2000rms 2500 peak) being run by a JBL GTO 1201.1 (1200rms) and its in a 2.5 cu ft box like manufacture says and it had over 200 hours played on it and was playing for maybe 20 minutes not even half power and when i got to my house it all of a sudden stopped and i went in my trunk and it was hard as a rock at first touch then i could hear the voice coil when i pushed it in and it was fried... HOW THE CRAP DID THAT HAPPEN? same thing happened to my Brahma with same amp... I mean its not like the amp has near enough power to blow either of these subwoofers, what possibly could have killed them? PLEASE REPLY I WANNA FIGURE OUT WHAT IM DOING WRONG!
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
 Are your gains set properly? If your gains are not set right this will cause premature failure.
jettagli03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
i had them set low because i didnt want them too high
jettagli03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 24, 2005 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  

how would that cause premature failure? -- im trying to learn as much as possible

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

"I had them set low"...So how exactly did you set the gain? By guessing? What about a subsonic filter, you need one with ported boxes.

www.bcae1.com #63 to the right.

jettagli03 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
how are you supposed to set the gains. i've heard "matching it to the mids and crap" but how are you supposed to do taht with a 1200w rms amp? i would have to have it practically all the way down. i knew i needed a subsonic filter but the amp i already had didnt have one and i was waiting to get the money to upgrade. so how are you SUPPOSED to set the gains?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  
Read the link provided.  Do a search on this forum, it's been posted hundreds of times.  Or go pay for some help from a professional car stereo shop.
Support the12volt.com
JAydawg21 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Well, Gain setting is important, I dont really know how the failure you described could be a product of improper gain settings.  If I'm worng someone please set me straight.  A sub sonic filter would hel prevent over excursion bucasue ported boxes lose cone control at ultra low frequencies but i dont think that would effect the voice coil.  I wouild contact the manufacturer or the place you bought the sub and find out.  Please post if you find ou though
'97 Jeep Cherokee sport
subs: JL 12w3v2 : RF 500a2 :
RF 1F capacitor
doors: 6" Diamond D361i -> RF 200a4
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  

JAydawg21 wrote:
Well, Gain setting is important, I dont really know how the failure you described could be a product of improper gain settings.  If I'm worng someone please set me straight.  A sub sonic filter would hel prevent over excursion bucasue ported boxes lose cone control at ultra low frequencies but i dont think that would effect the voice coil.  I wouild contact the manufacturer or the place you bought the sub and find out.  Please post if you find ou though

Improper gain setting can result in a severely clipped signal, which can cause the voice coil to overheat.  Same thing if the speaker experiences over-excursion (or "bottoming out.")  The voice coil can easily overheat.

Support the12volt.com
Grkinstall 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2005 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

you might need to check the amp that at certain peaks of power or random moments might be leaking voltage through the outputs which will turn that voice coil into an electric stove basically and and is heating up the voice coil way to much and is cooking it just enough to eat

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic