icon

stereo system advice from Experts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2005 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
So it sounds like you want something with more output and hopefully with good sound quality also.  That right?  Since you didn't mention it, I assume box size & architecture aren't very important.  Given that, I'd say go with the 15" in a ported enclosure.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2005 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
I've always found a pair of 12's being the *best* combination between volume and precision.
Hmm.. whoa your amp looks absolutely awesome.
Do actually have bi-amped CDT HD series speakers running off that thing? I'm *really* jealous.
It looks like your subwoofer channel is good for about 300 - 400watts at 1-2 ohms? I'm not sure if I'd mate a VanGogh to that... you'd be at barely half RMS.
I think the original recommendation of the XStream sub was probably the best pick, at least from the Soundstream line. Not sure what the deal with the embossed Tarantula though. I really can't deal with that at all.
Here's what I think.. if whoever did your system the first time was smart enough to pick an amp that cool, then mate it CDT HD stuff in that manner, clearly he knows what he's doing. Find out *why* he wanted you to swap your deck b/c I really can't explain that.. but just looking at your system componets I bet your high end sounds about as good as it can get.
Is this guy a sales guy at a store or just a friend of yours?
Here's the bottom line as I see it.. with a top end like yours I'd mate your amp to the sweetest sounding subwoofer I could get.. a long excursion 12 maybe. In a hatchback you certainly won't have any output problems. Why don't you post back with a budget and we'll kick it around a bit.
Honestly though.. with the superficial exception of that stupid spider, that original soundstream sub looks great... err.. looks like it would sound great. Inverted. Definately invert that sub.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2005 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
A 15" ported box with a top end like his?
Please, please don't do that to your stereo. Please.
durex 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2005 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
actually the soundstream amps and the CDT speakers is from me myself. the subs is from my dad's old car. the hu is reconmended by my friend.... i got all the stuff and pass it to the guy to install it..... only recently when i thinking of changing the subs tat's why i ask that guy his suggestion.... after hearing tat.... i can't be sure... tat's why i posted here for advice from the real experts... hee hee.... my budget.... hum..... i'm willing to go on diet for it.... :)
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2005 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

Going from 2-10's to a single 12" is going to amount to a lateral move in terms of bass output, if not even less output.  If we're talking about a pair of 12's, that's different.  So if output is the goal, the 15's the way to go.  I'm not a big fan or ported/bandpass boxes, but that design seems most in line with the goal & the type of music you're listening to.  It may not be what Sedate wants your system to be, but I think it fits what you want it to be.

To answer your other question, the only real advantage to inverting the sub is that it adds volume to the box equal to the displacement of the sub - basically makes your box bigger.  Plus there are some style aspects.  But now you have a sub sticking out into your cargo area which can cause other issues.  Better IMO to just make the box a bit bigger & keep the sub inside it.  If you really want something trick & space is an issue, do a clamshell design in a box about half the size with 2 drivers.  You'll only get the output equal to one sub in a proper box, but it's a neat design at the least.

sedate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 27, 2005 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy wrote:
It may not be what Sedate wants your system to be, but I think it fits what you want it to be.
hehe okay point taken.
Still, I betcha 1 Soundstream 12 will be louder and cleaner than 2 Sony*anything* subs. Seriously. That stuff is really crappy gear.
Anyway... like I said above, best combination that fits into the realm of realistic installs is usually 2x12's.. they'd be louder than a 15, if not quite as deep.
Anyway, with 200watts/sub available to ya, you won't starve. Maybe $300 - 400 at most.. 'course if you are in Singapore, I really have no idea what you could get at what price.. but.. stateside.. I'd recommend something along the lines of a pair of any of these:
http://www.jlaudio.com/press/W1v205.html
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSID12V3D2
http://www.cardomain.com/item/INFREF1240W
Honestly, there are about a zillion different subs you can get that fall into the area you are looking at. Try finding stuff you like and then bounce it off us eh?
superdavesyj 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
what the hell is a  van gogh 
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 28, 2005 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

He was a painter - you live in a cave?

Just kidding.  Soundstream Van Gogh series of equipment.

durex 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
i'm looking at these baby...
http://www.cardomain.com/item/IDSID12V3D2
sorry for my ignorance but may i ask what does it means when it says this sub allows free air usage?????
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  
Means it doesn't need a box.  You could mount it on the rear deck w/o an enclosure.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic