icon

Body fillers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Clif 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
I was wondering what would work best for body fillers, i curently use bondo now, It gets the job done but it takes forever to sand, is there something els on the marken that sands better and quicker? Is there a better overall body filler out there, let me know, got a big project a head and i dont really wanna use bondo.....
hmmm.... was that the right wire?
jaybong 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

rage gold

and for a topcoat 2 parts resin 4 parts rage, apropriate hardener for each.

hope that helps

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
I just use rage gold, it sands like butter. Its awesome, I love that stuff its expensive but its worth the extra money. On my next project to get it ready for paint, im going to sand the fiberglass down, then paint the piece with just fiberglass resin, let it harden. Come back and do it again about 2 or 3 more times. That way I'll have just a good thick coat of resin on top of the glass work. It should self level and everything, probably will have to block sand just a little bit but should be way better than putting the rage right on top of the glass. Anyway after I coat it in resin, ill sand it just a tad to rough up the surface. Then do a small skim coat of rage sand and primer, and paint that thing.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
mloretitsch 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
How long do you let the Bondo set before sanding?
I apply filler and wait for about 15 minutes. It will be soft enough to file (you have to get a feel for it). I go over it with a body file to rough shape right at 15 minutes or so then sand the rest out. Following that you can go to 80 grit paper. Work fast because it hardens quickly from this point.
I realize this is a body article, but look down at the picture where he uses a cheese grater body file as soon as the filler starts to setup. This might alleviate a lot of your time sanding!
Hotrod Article
-Matt
Clif 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
I think i might go with rage gold, i can get a gallon of it for about 30 bucks on ebay, witch is not to bad, dont know how much it costs in stores but i will check that out. But a buddy of mine has some stuff that he thinks works real well. but all as i know is that my next project i am not using bondo!!!
05honda 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

you should definatly try thinning the bondo withresin and hardener......it works well and goes on smooth.....

phatx96xaccord 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2005 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  

i bought rage gold on ebay for under 25bucks shipped,  havent used it yet, but will soon

would u like your chicken original or extra crispy?
modena0 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  
i use Rage extreme regularly, and it is the easiest sanding filler i've ever used. also to speed up sanding you might want to try a pneumatic DA sander
2000 Chevrolet S10
Premier DEH-P860MP
JL Audio XR650-CSi components
Boston 4x6 splits
JL Audio 10W3v2
Alpine MRP-M350
Clarion APA-4162
Clif 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
i got a few sanders, a 6" circular, 1/3 sheet and a 1/4th sheet sander. but i cant use any of those sanders on the small curves of the kickpannels im working on. But i am going to pick up some rage gold today to see how it works.
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
3 inch DAs work really good for small and curvy parts, you can pick one up for about 100 dollars.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic