icon

Body fillers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
audiomechanic 
Silver - Posts: 388
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
3 inch DAs work really good for small and curvy parts, you can pick one up for about 100 dollars.
jt73 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
love rage gold...mar-glass sands very easily too for a reinforced body filler
uz2bauto 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  

after using rage gold at school and now using rage extreme at work i can say that rage extreme, i think, is a better filler.

also if you are looking for a re-inforced type filler i reccomend using fiber-tech by evercoat it actually has kevlar strands in it and it is stronger than kitty hair. also if you have used kitty hair/tiger hair/etc. then you know that when applying it that the whole 'wad' likes to follow where you spread it. the fiber-tech does not, it spreads almost as easily as your regular fillers.

paint and body       
"semi-professional"
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  
uz2bauto wrote:

after using rage gold at school and now using rage extreme at work i can say that rage extreme, i think, is a better filler.

also if you are looking for a re-inforced type filler i reccomend using fiber-tech by evercoat it actually has kevlar strands in it and it is stronger than kitty hair. also if you have used kitty hair/tiger hair/etc. then you know that when applying it that the whole 'wad' likes to follow where you spread it. the fiber-tech does not, it spreads almost as easily as your regular fillers.

I don't know why people use kitty hair. That stuff doesn't spread for nothing. I'm a big mar-glas fan myself. And the Rage is awesomely soft for sanding. I've used poly-fil for the tiny spots that form from like air pockets and stuff. What do you guys use?
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
uz2bauto 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
with the rage extreme i hardly ever have any pinholes. when mixing dont whip it up, try folding and smushing the filler together until you get your color even. also you can use just a little more than half of the hardener that is reccommended for your temp. and it will be okay...this will give you a longer work time with your filler and less waste.
paint and body       
"semi-professional"
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  
cool thanks! so I'm supposed to fold it huh. oh man thanks again!
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
jt73 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with 5150...LOVE Mar-glass
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
I use bondo professional...seeing as how the only way I can find rage gold is online and I don't feel like paying the shipping and handling and waiting a week. What I do though is as the filler hits its "green stage" (where it rubs off before completely hardening) I use about 40 grit and that cuts the sanding time in half by far. What you do is:
After applying the first coat of bondo or rage wait til it is somewhat hardened (should feel kinda tacky) then start sanding it with 40 grit. It will knock down all of the ridges and sand it down smooth. Then just keep changing out sand paper as it continues to harden until it is completely hardened. Trust me, I was able to sand a full center console in less than half an hour (completely smooth too.)
doesn't matter what filler you use; just a little trick of the trade Body fillers - Page 2 -- posted image.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
they make surform planes (think thats what theyre called) which are basically graters which are made for the task...just like what mi_what said but instead of 40 grit, this plane can be re-used...although ive never used one myself yet so i dont know how well they work  but they also can only be used on flat or raised areas...thats more for bodywork.
uz2bauto 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  
they are like cheese graters...great for crushed quarter panel reshaping haha
paint and body       
"semi-professional"
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic