icon

Alternate alternator

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Masta N 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  
I have been running an idea around in my head and would like to get some input from others in my field. I wish to add a second alternator to my truck, but do not have the room to add the pulley and such because of the ram air and other add-ons on the accessory belt, as well as the fact that I'm running that belt at 24% underdrive. I do not wish to upgrade the existing alternator(besides the largest I've found is 150 amp) because of the underdrive, coupled with my experience that high output alts act like undrive pulleys at idle as well, compounding my problem.
On to the idea. I have found a device which, by its intended design, is intended to turn a factory water pump to free up horsepower from the accessory belt. My plan is to adapt this mjotor to spinn up an additional alternator. The motor will run off the factory charging system abd draws only 8 amps. With the correct pulleys, the second alternator could produce its full rated output nearly all the time and charge a second battery and runn the audio system, freeing the factory alternator from the burden of the audio system entirely. Another benefit would be that the alternator could be remotely installed, thus freeing up space under the hood.
Of course there must be a flaw in my logic on this idea, so I turn to you for thoughts...as well as constuctive criticism.
Masta N out
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
It couuld work. Try it and let us know.
Paul
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  

Won't work.. you're breakin the law..<grin>

What you want to do is use about 112 watts to produce around 1400 watts.. do you see the problem here? You want a perpetual motion machine.. it doesn't work that way. If, however, you manage to really make one, you'll be rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Jim

Masta N 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
Not neccessarily perpetual motion(and I considered that part of the equation) because it is not powering itself. It draws power from the main alt. By the way I'm thinking, it is much more like a lever, in that it amplifies the energy(effectivly) from another source...do you follow? It might not work, but I'm not convinced that the perpetual power argument really holds water under these circumstances. Especially if the motor spins just as fast as the accessory belt on the truck, does the alternator know how the spin was imparted?
Francious70 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
I'm telling you, it'll work. Try it. Hmm.. maybe, just maybe. *Twisted grin*
Paul
*Edit* The only problem I think you're going to run into is the motor you have turning the alt will have to run at some seriously high RPM's for a LONG time (however long you have your car running). Most electric motors arn't designed to run continusly at high RPM's for a long time.
That, and the motor would have to have some pretty good torque to turn the alt.
Masta N 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
It is designed to turn a water pump...A job which is by far more demanding than turning an alternator...and the run time is the same as well...the entire time the car is running.
Francious70 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have a link to where I ould check out this product??
Paul
Masta N 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  
Not a link...but I can tell ya where to look. Go to summitracing.com. In the online store click on cooling. I think it's called an electric water pump motivator...or something like that. It's made by various manufacturers, but the one that is the least expensive is made by Moroso. Sorry I can't post a real link...we only have limited internet access at my work...but I arranged to have this site viewable;). I think Jeg's carries them as well. When I get home I will post an appropriate link for you.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a link for the water pump conversion kit.. It's mentioned that the kit is for drag racing.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1102&prmenbr=361

Here's the page on Mr. Gasket's website that has the install guide for the kit.. (kit #4333)

http://go.mrgasket.com/InstructionSheetsList.aspx?BrandID=1

Note where it says 'Continuous operation of the water pump motor should be avoided. Running the electric motor for two or three minutes at a time is advised'.

Perpetual Motion = getting more out then you're putting in. You want to use 10 amps to operate an electric motor that will belt drive an alternator that you want to output 100+ amps..

Jim

Masta N 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2005 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, as per the dictonary
    Perpetual Motion:The hypothetical continuous operation of an isolated mechanical device or other closed system without a sustaining energy source.
By your line of though a simple lever would be perpetual motion...which we all know is incorrect. One can, with the proper length lever, apply 2 lbs to move 200lbs.
The moroso unit's instuctions do not mention using the unit only intermittently
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/mor-63750.pdf .
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic