icon

substained alternator abuse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
6061dyson 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hey der, im running a 1.4 litre petrol Pugeot 306 and my amp is really dimming my lights at certain volumes and hz.
Interestingly enough, at 20 on my HU it really hits my Headlights dim!!! But at 32, its not as bad as the volume might sugest.
Through substained abuse am i looking at a catastrophic failure i.e dead battery n a fried alternator, or a slow demise? My Amps a RF 551s pushing out 582 watts. My heads units just Panasonic (super basic) 4 x 50 peak watts. ? 1 farad power cap best upgrade? or a beffer battery? I am looking to install a second 4 channel amp pushing out around 400 RMS combined and new HU before Xmas, soooo whats best?
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 3:35 PM / IP Logged  
are your lights dimming etc when the music's turned down?  If not, your elec system is probably fine.  About the volume control at different levels, are you using the "loudness" button?  IF so, it's effect will go away at higher volumes, reducing the bass output & power consumption.  Best guess anyway.
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

your best bet for your problem would be an H.O. alternater but there is not one for that car and caps are junk so i would suggest a kinetik battery and some fabrication to make one of the larger ones fit your car www.kinetikaudio.com 

1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
6061dyson 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
Ah thanks, new battery, most easily solving the prob unless i can find a alternator supplier/maker.
Power caps really suck? Why? please elaborate
In answer to boulder guy, YES my loudness button is always on. And the problem still diminishes with the volume set at a higher level (so 20 is gd SQ, gd volume at moderate speeds windows down, VERY DIM headlights very sensitive to bass nots.... 32 is maxing out headunit powered standard speakers and thumping HARD, headunits dimms moderately at specific notes my sub setup excels in)
Strange huh,
Thanks for the battery supplier BT.
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

Easiest solution would be turn off the loudness button.  By nature, Loudness only works at lower volumes & tapers off as you turn it up.  The idea is to accentuate the bass & treble at lower volumes when they're less noticeable, then "dissolve" once you give it more juice.  That's why your problem disappears at higher volume.

If you like the sound of "loudness," then by all means keep it & go with a new battery - that's a good start.  A capacitor would be a good idea imo because it will lessen your headlight dimming problem.  Some people think they're worthless, others swear by them.  I believe they're great for solving problems like yours.  I don't think they do much of anything for overall sound quality tho, and in that respect are waaaay over-rated as marketing hype - I imagine BT would agree.  It will definitely help with the headlights.

Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

a cap  is like putting a band aid on a gun shoot wound  is just not enough it would help with the headlights because caps give your amp less power because they add more resistance  also don't give up on the alternater yet call all the local auto eletric shops and if you find a guy that knows what he's doing the shop can take your stock alternater and rebuild it with higher output

boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

Blowntweeters wrote:
a cap  is like putting a band aid on a gun shoot wound  is just not enough it would help with the headlights because caps give your amp less power because they add more resistance  also don't give up on the alternater yet call all the local auto eletric shops and if you find a guy that knows what he's doing the shop can take your stock alternater and rebuild it with higher output

Yes a cap is a band aid - sometimes that's all you need tho.  No it doesn't give your amp less power or increase the resistance, unless you're talking about the added resistance of a connection point atop the cap (which is virtually nothing),  that's just asinine.  If you're actually concerned about those issues, wire it downstream of the distro block.  It's basically just a reservoir.

If I'm wrong on those points, someone show me the physics.

Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
i'm not going to show you any physics i was at a local SPL comp in 01 there was a rockford rep there and my friend and i installed a cap between runs the second run we hit . 3 db lower only thing changed was the cap was installed 
boulderguy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  

Blowntweeters wrote:
i'm not going to show you any physics i was at a local SPL comp in 01 there was a rockford rep there and my friend and i installed a cap between runs the second run we hit . 3 db lower only thing changed was the cap was installed 

Which tells us one of two things - Either the laws of physics didn't apply at your local SPL comp, or you & your friend did something wrong.

I mean seriously - that's the only basis for your broad, sweeping conclusion that "caps are junk they don't help they suck power and add resistance to your amp"?!?

Blowntweeters 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
boulderguy let me ask you this do you have a cap in your car and how can a cap magicly charge faster than a battery  i have had so many costumers pissed because someone sold them a cap told them how great it was  then i installed it  and they were pissed they go some extra lights for $100 plus bucks  caps are a waste of money  alternaters and kinetik batterys are the way to go
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic