icon

Best warm natural sounding Components?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
panerailover 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

I know all the shops out there do not have all speakers, components, woofers in their listening rooms for us to go and listen to them and decide what we like. I have Infinity IL50 speakers for my home sound system powered by NAD T763 Reciever. The sound is incredibly warm and natural. I hand picked everything this system, from $600 for AudioQwest wires, to speakers,  to my amp, to Denon DVD-1600 CD/DVD player. When I was building my system I did a lot of research from people that know about good sound and heard a lot of products out there. I also had a budget, so that is why I did not buy B&W speakers and Mark Levison amps, if I could I would.. So for the money I think I got very good stuff. Anyway, I had to say that so you guys know what I am going for. I heard pretty much the best possible sound reproduction in home audio available to us in the world when I went to Hi-Fi Audio/Video shows 2 years in the row in NYC Hilton Hotel, they do a show every year and invite best in the business companies like Krell, B&W, Wilson Audio, MBL, etc, to show their latest products. These guys are no joke and have home audio speakers ranging from $10k to $80k and amps and pre-amps in the same price range. I mean when I heard MBL $140k set up this year I was blown away by a worm natural realistic sound reproduction that was so clear and loud that it blew my mind. Enough of my story. I was trying to upgrade my stock audio system in my Lexus GS430 withought changing the headunit, I wanted to keep the stock look and I added AudioControl LC6 Converter to hook up my amps. So loving my Infinity speakers at home, I went ahead and bought Infinity Kappa 6.5" components and Kappa 6.5" coax speakers for my front and rear doors powered by JL Audio 300/4 amp. The shop that installed the system, did custom MDF enclousures for all my doors and Dynamat in all my doors. I have 40 hours on this setup now and speaker sound  begining to open up but the sound is to bright and tinny and I hate it, mids and clarity of the sound is great is just tweeters now I found out are metal dome tweeters. I think I will sell them on ebay and I am looking for new components that sound natural and warm. Any one has any suggestions? Unless there is some adjustments I can make on my components crossovers? or maybe I can buy new tweeters? I heard that best sounding components on the market for warm natural sound are Dynaudio SYSTEM 240 MK II, they use soft dome tweeters. Any other ones that use same tweeter design out there? Dyns are $800 fot set!! Any suggestions?

01 Lexus GS430 SOLD.. 04 BMW 545i Sport, NAV Logic7
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
This is a hard call, as you may like one speaker more than the next. Claims of one speaker or company to have the "best" product is naive. Some are better suited for different applications and so on.
Now Dynaudio is on the top of my list as far as high end speakers go, and YOU may love them, but for others they may sound too soft and lack volume, so either shell some money out or keep trying mid-end components.
I traded out my rainbow metal domes for silk domes and I am much happier now. They are still bright enough for some music but are smooth enuogh for others.
By the way there are many companies that have great sounding speakers, Morel, Focal, Rainbow, Quart and so on.
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
I dunno *anything* about home theatre systems ... just the absolute basics there..
CDT Audio has a reputation for putting out great sounding speaker systems ... to quote one of the mods here "A real punchy midbass and a neutral high" ... which is exactly my experience with them.. a *butter* smooth speaker.
They'd be *my* first stop coming off of Kappa componets.
Not sure about Morel, Focal, or Rainbow.. except to say that they have an excellent reputation around this board. I can tell you that if you don't like the tonality of your Kappa's, avoid MB Quart like the plague eh?
Perhaps a CDT HD series componet set might be up your alley?
http://www.thezeb.com/c-High-Definition-Series-7775.htm
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
03taurus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  

I am far from an expert on hifi stuff, but why don't you just use an equilizer to tone down the tweeters just a tad.  I am a fan of audiocontrol as I know what the epiccenter is capable of.  I like that LC6 they came out with now, good choice.  I think the DQS may be up your alley.  Of course changing out just the tweeters is another good alternative.  I am sure your system sounds very good at the moment to most people, but I think you could be lacking some very important low end.  Maybe even just a single 10" sub in a small sealed box with help too.  From what I have noticed in the past, that if you add a sub, your bright highs will tend to balance off a little.  Let us know what you end up doing.

On a side note,  on my home theater, I have the Infinity 750 sattalite system and when I shut the sub off it sounds horrable.  When I was buying my tuner, all the reviews were saying that the Harmen tuners were more neutrual than the bright Yamahas, but I like brightness.  I think that I was sold more on the features of the Yamaha though, since it has the optimzer mic and puts out 100W X 7.  All I need is for those damn true HD DVD players to come out.  It is strange that my HD tuner is much clearer than a DVD. 

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
Sometimes metal dome tweeters are just too bright for placement reasons or design reasons, and in order to eq the tweeters you'd have to have a bi-amp setup, that would eliminate the passive x-overs.
panerailover 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
I  do have  a sub, I have 12dvq Infinity Perfect powered by JL Audio 500/1 amp.. I will probably change tweeters, any one knows any soft dome tweeters that are sweet and natural sounding not bright and tinny that are sold seperately from comp system?
01 Lexus GS430 SOLD.. 04 BMW 545i Sport, NAV Logic7
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
As a matter of fact...
http://www.thezeb.com/c-Tweeters-6352.htm
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
03taurus 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  

sorry for my ignorance of not reading your profile about the sub..

Anyhow, Infinity makes a soft silk dome 1", but it is in their "referance" series line.  That is a step down and is only 50W.  They do have the CMMD tweeters, but I think that is stiffer yet which is not good in your situration. 

BTW, you could get a second amp, just to run the tweeters and then EQ them.  A few years back I ran a set of kicker tweeters (I know their not the best), with a nice a/d/s amp that was about 35 X 2.  They were plenty loud.

Just trying to throw some ideas in the bucket.......

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 05, 2005 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

..Just to second the nod on the CDTs from sedate.  When installed, you might have to put your ear against the silk tweeter to know that its operational.  But in regular music listening, that smooth touch of crystal-clear highs is just the amount you want to listen to.

I think it all depends on the ratio you have set up between the subs and the mains.  If the subs are "stupid" loud, the tweets have to be more overbearing to overcome (and therefore the metal tweets).  But if the system is set up for SQ, with the subs pulling their weight at the low end and not being the overbearing force....the silk tweets in the CDT lineup will bless you with their presence.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 06, 2005 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  

Hmm, this thread looks exactly like your other thread. 

I find it interesting that you talk about the great sound of $40K Wilson speakers and then bitch about car audio comps that cost $800.  Bottom line, like I said on your other thread, is in most cases high quality speakers cost more than typical commercial grade speakers and you get what you pay for.  It's a fact of life.  Good quality soft dome tweeters cost $80 to $300 each, especially if what you're after is home-audio quality in your car.  There are some nice sounding lower-cost alternatives, like some of the CDT or even the Peerless tweets I recomended on your other thread, and there are many others. 

But your REAL problem is your installation is wrong.  You placed your tweets high up on your doors in the factory locations and up there they need at least 6-10db of pad and a custom crossover point any maybe a digital delay for time alignment too.  Try the -5db pad position on your Infinity crossovers, but I predict they will still be too bright for your taste.  You need to move them closer to the woofers and/or buy better tweeters (and probably change the crossover to make them sound correct too.)

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic