icon

Glue for fiberglass and fleece

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

why would u staple fiberglass anyways,  if that was in reply to ragoal12's reply, i think he was talking about stapeling the fleece to  MDF to keep the fleece in place before it gets fiberglassed (I missed the part that he was attaching fleece to FG, so he might have too).  hot glue (or possibly spray glue if it works) to hold the fleece to anything other than wood.  How quick does the spray glue dry though?  I like the hot glue cause u dont have to hold it in place for too long. 

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
You guys were right. I tried to use duct tape that didnt work so I just used the hot glue gun. Yeah you guys were right it doesnt take long at all to get it too dry. Now I just have to cut the excess off and rip that hot glue off as well. Your correct placid im gluing the fleece to a fiberglass mold so thats why I didnt want to staple it. thanks for the help again guys.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Crispix396 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 12:04 PM / IP Logged  
i am in the same boat.  I built the base of my center console out of fiberglass and now i ahve to stretch  grill cloth over it and get it tight,  i am still trying to find a quick way to secure the cloth (quick like a staple gun)  my experience with hot glue is still about 30-40 seconds of sitting there not moving waiting for it to harden enough to go to the next section.  Someone said to 'use the dowel method, but didnt really explain 'the dowel method' so now im going to do a search on 'the dowel method'
nothing amazing yet, but its coming
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2005 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah I dont know what they were talking about the dowel method. I just took the glue gun and made a zig zag pattern back and forth and pushed the fleece down with my hands.  Held for about 10 seconds maybe. It was good to go, just dont put down too much glue and it wont take so long to dry.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic