icon

20/20 article on loud car stereos

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shark_2003 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
I am not against loud stereos but if you play it more responsibly,  I.E.: Turning it down at red lights, stop signs, residential neighborhoods, or anywhere else people may be that do not want to hear loud music things will go much better for us.  I have a very loud system but i play it at a reasonable volume so i dont get any complaints or tickets.  There is no such thing as a warning for loud noise now,  if you go through the mall parking lot blasting your music you get a minimum 1500 dollar ticket which is outrageous for something so simple.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 6:12 PM / IP Logged  
OK time for me to chime in on this. I read the entire thread and posted a couple responses of my own on there. I can understand why people can get upset about loud cars, and they have every right to be upset to a point. What really killed me about that post was that there were so many generalizations and misrepresentations of both the industry as well as facts that it was simply shocking. I was starting to get legitamatly mad when I was seeing them trying to like the stereos with drugs and crime as well as the generalizations of calling enthusists punks and thugs. It could have been an interesting debate but really seemed to break down into another round of childish bullshhh. I dont think I am gonna be paying to much mind to that thread any more for the simple fact that I think I am above the bullshhh being spouted on that that thread. Just rediculous
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
NicP 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
my opinion is that people should take responsibility for their own actions and their own parenting, it really pisses me off that there are so many groups of parents against the "evils" in the world, OMG loud music, OMG violence on tv, OMG sex in video games!!!
Really if they focused their energy on instilling morals and values, like consideration and respect of others, into their kids the world would be a better place.
Yes people shouldnt blast their stereo late at night but are the audio companies to blame for this? have people lost that much common sense that they do everything advertising shows them?
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
I know that I'm not a "punk" or a "thug" and I love to crank out on my system. I know when to crank and when to tone it down. For the most part people just don't mind there own biz. They worry more about me and you than them selves.
Big Dave
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have read several websites that are similar to noiseoff. The people that run these websites obviously have no life and waaaaay to much free time. They are good for a laugh though. I really cant believe some of these people are serious, the page with the car audio ads was especially laugh-worthy. None of these people come off as very intelligent, whos bright idea was it to call vehicles with systems "boom cars" and the people who drive them "boom boys" it sounds like something a 2 year old would say. These anti-noise people are nothing but a bunch of whining, complaining, ignorant and stuck up idiots. I guess it just goes to show that anyone with a crackhead idea can make a website about it.
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with speedway, i'm not a punk either, or a thug, i'm a regular average joe who likes to turn his music up a little louder then the next guy...a local reporter tried to do the same thing down here, complainging about the loud cars and stereos, it to was one sided...he stated that you'd hear them comming 5 min befor you saw the car and the guy was always racing or reving his engine to make his exhaust louder....but my thing is...you never hear about the old men that drive around with there old mid 1930's music playing (yes..it happends around here alot) sure there probably to deaf to hear it at what a normal person would listen to it at, but no one made comments about that, nor when they mentiond the exhausts being to loud...they never mentiond street bikes or harleys...you hear them for a while.. and i read a couple posts back something about not being able to hear emergency vehicles...i do hear them, even when my music is up. either that or i'm using my mirrors more often (which they say makes you a safer driver??) well...that's just my 2 cents..
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 14, 2005 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  

John Stossel, the reporter who did the 20/20 piece, is a muckraker.  His stories are to incite and fire up the audience and are extremely one-sided.  That's about as much as I can say about his journalistic integrity.

The group who compiled the advertisements are exactly the same way.  Put page after page of ammunition in front of the slathering mob and you'll be sure to get some reaction.  The big problem is this:  the hordes who are allowing themselves to be incited by this propaganda are too narrow-minded to see the whole picture.  The education and pedigrees they are so proud to display in their resumes seems to justify their name-callling of a group they don't know anything about.  Thugs!  Criminals! 

But they show their real lack of intelligence when they infer any kind of real meaning in advertisements.  They certainly should know that ads just serve a purpose to get a prospective customer's attention...not unlike the articles and stories that condemn the advertisers for doing just that.  These people will be quick to write a letter to the editor of their local newspaper or to their congressman based on a one-sided, misinformed article in itself without hearing the other side of the argument.   

Yet, these irate upstanding proper citizens who are so victimized by the car audio industry are the same ones who will not think twice about the pollution they spew all over the earth with their gas-guzzling Hummers, powerboats and private airplanes.  It's all a matter of whether it fits into their perfect world, and whether they can profit from it.  These are the types of people journalists like Stossel like to fire up.  The Moral Majority.  Just like the ads that are criticized, this type of yellow journalism is all about ratings, market share and profit.

Immoral Hypocrites would be a more befitting name for them. 

I see kids and not-so-young adults opening their eyes to the mathematical part of the hobby and embracing concepts that they knew little or nothing about.  I see teamwork, competition and building a value system.  I see hands that are working with wood and electronics; those are not idle hands, hypocrites.  Those are hands and minds that are learning, teaching, evaluating results and having fun in the process.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
rlandwehrle 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  

i love the sound of music and i love the way it feels even more and i understand that some people dont like loud music but dont you think there are better things to b***h about.like the old man that flicks his cigerett bud out the window (fiber glass takes allmost 10 years to disolve)and not in his ashtray.or drive thoes beat up cars with faild inspection poring black smoke into the air i breath.and dont forget about the old drunk peeing on the tree(not to good for the tree).what about grandma who lets her little dog out to sh** on her walk and forgets to pick it up everytime so little kids can play in.THEY NEED TO GET REAL and look at the things they are doing to the world.  o.k. some of us will loose our hearing i under stand that it dosent hurt any one else.ask them what happened to our ozone layer ?music dident do that !they know what did because they were a part of it.and they worry about bass,my son is growing up with gloable warming because of all the antifreez they let drain into the watersystems or all the hairspray she needed to stand her hair for beehive hair style.in 200 years they have destroyed this planet,so lets worry about a handa with a 4 cyl (compared to there extreamly large inefficent engins in there old cars) and high spl sound.

1 pioneer deh-7700mp hu
1 lanzar htg2600d amp
2 sets rf 5 1/4 componets
2 alpine type r 12's(2005 series)
1 large ported box
1 rf 1.0 ferad rf cap
1 realy loud 2004 hyundai accent
shark_2003 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

Im not saying all old people are the ones bitching about loud cars because some of them grew up doing the same exact thing with mustangs muscle cars and hot rods.  But the majority of the people that are complaining are people who know nonthing about us.  What makes us want to have loud stereos loud exhaust.  My stereo is very loud but i know when to turn it down.  My exhaust is loud but it is still under 95db i can pass emissions in any state.  My car is not hurting anything its these old farts complaining about stuff they dont understand and and what the onesided media tells them to think. 

Old farts and one sided media are really starting to piss me off.

Along with that some punk *** kid in columbia SC took a reporter on a private tour to show him all the cars that had loud stereos and every car that was involved in street racing.  Im not saying i agree with street racing but alot of people just come out to show their cars.

ophidia31 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
i couldnt even read more than a page and a half of those posts on the 20/20 thread. if that was an open discussion in a town hall somewhere, id probably be getting arrested for beating someone into oblivion. talk about closed minded! the industry is destroying our community and poising our youth. blah blah blah blah blah. just shut the hell up already. they dont even know about all the inner city programs that these people and business owners tend to to help get the kids off the street and into something productive with their lives. and its not just stereo programs too its other automotive programs to help them learn, get hands on experience and develop their people skills. oh my god, and if i read anything with "boom" in it one more time i was seriously going to smash my computer screen off the floor. thugs? punks? good christ people, get a life. you watch too much fox and mtv.  and yes, i do listen to my music loud so i am guilty of that. but when i drive by or am sitting there it isnt obnoxiously loud where things are rattling and your house is shaking. my music is tatseful and if anything if people know the music they give a thumbs up. you can actually have a passenger in the front seat of my car and still talk to them without shouting when i have my stereo up. but now this is the strange part. sitting at lights and stop signs i usually dont turn my stereo down. well because at a stop sign im there for no more a than a few seconds and at a stop light, well, ive never been to a stop light where there wasnt any less noise going on then my stereo so why turn it down there. but driving through residential areas i will turn my stereo down almost off. and at night if im driving home from somehwere i usually have it half of where i would have it during the day. these people need to move out of their parents house, get their own apartment, throw some acne cream on their faces, wash their hair with johnsons no tears shampoo and go out a get a life. theyre always on sale so you can pick them up cheap.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic