icon

Memphis vs Audiobahn

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
morthane 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 5:52 AM / IP Logged  
I'm pretty new to car audio, but have been doing steady research. Recently, I talked to an acquintance who claims to have done more research, and wants to teach me how I'm wrong. I hope this thread will shed some light on our current debate.
Please answer the following questions:
MEMPHIS M3 MOJO vs AUDIOBAHN 1205Q
----------------------------------
1. Which is the more musical sub?
2. Which one lasts longer
3. Which one is built better
4. Which one uses better cone material
5. For SPL competitions, which would you choose and why?
6. What are the highest SPL numbers posted by each sub?
7. Which has better power handling?
8. Is there a difference in how much power one needs to power these subs to gain the same SPL numbers?
9. Which one is the winningest company in competitions?
10. All in all, which one gives you more for your money?
Any other comparisons between these two models are welcome.
Nigel Tufnel: What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
-This is Spinal Tap
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
Memphis, no question.
Support the12volt.com
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Memphis, no question.
Even though I use Audiobahn I Second DYohn's motion , Memphis hands down
--Skold
2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  

It's all about how you prep the car and build the system, morthane.  The enclosure will either make or break either one of those subs.  You can use a subwoofer that would never be seen in a competition in a great solid enclosure, proper damping of the car, true and ample power..........and beat out someone who is relying on a well-established comp sub in and of itself to produce great results without the very particular attention to the details needed to compete in SPL.

Bottom line is, whichever one you choose can be easily beat by the other sub if your competitor knows more than you about setting up a comp vehicle, and is more meticulous in how he builds it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
As much as I agree with stevdart's explanation, questions 2-4 are simply a matter of fact, and the fact is the Memphis has Audiojunk beat here.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
No comparison. Memphis all the way, but wouldn't most brands get the same vote if compared to Audiobahn? 
'85 Toy
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 4:40 PM / IP Logged  
Memphis is so far ahead of Audiobahn it's apples and oranges
Big Dave
morthane 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
If you notice, I posted really late the other night, which is a big no-no for me. It gets me posting these rants! Thanks for answering things, though. Let me throw out some different questions that might be more educational:
1. Audiobahn claims theirs will handle 2k Watts RMS, whereas the Memphis claims 750W RMS (except for the mad max, of course). Do these numbers prove anything?
2. Most people agree Audiobahn is crap, but were they ever good, or did they make any one product that was very good? (Again, this is me getting ranty, oops)
3. Enclosures aside, is question 10 from my earlier post a moot point, or is it actually a good idea to buy the audiobahn on a tight budget? Off the top of my head, wouldn't MTX and JL have something in the same price range that is much better? I'd have an easier time trusting them.
I think other questions I have would be better in a different, generalized subwoofer thread
Nigel Tufnel: What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
-This is Spinal Tap
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  

1) I have never seen an Audiobahn woofer actually handle the power it is rated at without gross distortion, power compression and reaching mechanical stops.  I have seen Memphis speakers handle 2X their rated power acceptably.  But to answer your question about the numbers "proving" anything, I'd have to say no.

2) Audiobahn makes some very nice amps, especially their rack-mount competition line.  They also make some really crappy amps.  I can't say I've every been impressed by any of their other gear.

3) Question 10 from your earlier post was about value for the money.  It's all about what you like and what you think is value compared to the money you spend.  It can be very different for each person.  To me, spending $1200 on my front component set is worth every penny.  To someone else it might not be.  So it depends.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic