clutch bypass question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
adambeazley 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
I know this is a taboo subject but I dont care. I have implimented some safety in my setup so Im not woried about leaving the car in gear and remote starting it, because it wont start. Anyway, my question is about bypassing the clutch. What type of relay should I buy from radio shack to accomplish this? And how should I bypass the clutch in a 2006 scion Tc? A diagram or a really good description would be great.
thanks in advanced
dare_ds69 
Silver - Posts: 419
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  

use a SPDT   clutch has 2 wires when you press the clutch both wires are conected so you have to do is this:

87 goes to one wire at the clutch

30 goes to the other wire of the clutch

85 goes to negative when remote start

86 goes to ignition.

try to use the NSS is good and safe for manual trasmitions.

how own your mind, control your life.
MECP certified. always use a DMM
endless talent 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

The clutch has two pin switches, one that senses the clutch is being pressed and one that senses if the clutch is all the way down.  The first is to deactivate the cruise control while driving and the second is for starting the vehicle.  The second pin switch is the one you will be interfacing with.  I prefer to bypass it this way:

Rather than unplugging the factory switch altogether, and keep it functional, wire up a regular relay to leave the factory clutch pin output connected, unless remote started, where it will "see" the correct input from the other wire without actually being pressed.  To do this, you will need to identify which wire is which on your pin switch.  There will typically be one wire that ALWAYS rests at GROUND and one that will change state to GROUND when the clutch is depressed all the way.  Be sure to test the switch with the ignition ON (and MOST DEFINITELY WITH A DMM) in the case that it may be different from when the ignition is off.  Cut the wire that does NOT rest at GROUND  far enough away from the switch to make a secure connection.  Connect the side of the wire closest to the clutch to "87a" (normally closed).  Connect the other side, which goes to the BCM or some other factory module to "30" (common).  Tap in a wire, without cutting it, to the always GROUND side of the switch and connect it to "87" (normally open).  It's not such a good idea to connect any other source than the constant side of the switch, because of the possibility frying a module somewhere.  Send 12V power to "86" and your remote start status output to "85" and your in business.  This method is as dependable and safe as thay get.

dare_ds69 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
YOU DON'T HAVE TO CUT no wires to by pass the clutch. if you know relays you will see that the 87 and 30 are normally open circuit, so once you make R/S both wires are going to conect together.clutch bypass question -- posted image.
fpcelica 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
where do u buy relays? and what do you call them if you were to ask someone... locally
adambeazley 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
Well fpcelica from what I have found it looks like this relay would work ok.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F013%5F000&product%5fid=275%2D248
And please if this is not the right relay someone please let me know.
thanks
fpcelica 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
i think that would work but i think you want the normally sized kind not the mini im not really sure
endless talent 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
By the way, dare_ds, you are correct, the method you posted is more straight forward than mine.  I had a brain fart plain and simple...  clutch bypass question -- posted image.  But my way will use ONE more female connector and 6 inches more wire to help keep the business going!!
dare_ds69 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

you can go to pepboys or autozone and get the relay. or get from http://parts-express.com

adambeazley 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
cool thanks for the help guys.
One last question is what amperage should this SPDT relay be rated for?
thanks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic