icon

Computer case neon VS Automobile Neon

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrxclnc 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

I am confused about neon tubes for computer cases vs neon tubes for automobile interiors.  Here is a link to streetglow which sells them for like $25  http://www.streetglow.com/products/an.htm.   Here is another link to a place online that sells computer parts, as well as neons for about $5.  http://www.directron.com/neonlights.html.    This is a big difference in prices.  Is there really any difference?  Are we just getting ripped off?  And what about Cold Cathode?  http://www.directron.com/coldcathode.html   Can I put Cold Cathode in my car interior or will is suck up too much power.  I am done wiring my car and now I am stuck on what neons to buy...  I really dont feel like spending $25 each for neons.  I need 4 of them.  Please let me know your opinions.

mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2005 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
dude get the computer ones, the only difference i know of is that the computer ones need an inverter, but yea they run off 12 volt power just like the car ones   all neons are cold cathodes so dont worry about that that was a bad example though for the website you sent    directron sells streetglow    but anyway   I would use www.xoxide.com   6 inches is too small   for under a seat maybe, but under the dash you would want 10, 12 or maybe 15
hugity 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

I have a couple 12" cold cathodes for my PC that i'd love to use under my dash in my Jeep.  yes they do have a power inverter, and the wires are kinda short going to the cathodes  i have a '99 Jeep Cherokee, how would i hook those up and toggle them with a switch? 

mini14 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
well if i had some i'd put them under the dash like you said    you would want to extend the wire from the inverter to the power source, not the wires to the cathodes    if it is a dual inverter all you have to do is run some power to the cathodes and on the power wire put a switch on either the + or - side    it really doesn't matter   as far as where you get the power from, you can go to the fuse box or straight from the battery   i've never gone to the fuse box so i wouldn't know what to tell ya there    i have a liberty and i'm gonna put some neons under the dash and seats tomorrow   i already had a distribution block setup for my amps, so I will just use power from there    make sure you fuse the wire    this would probably be easy to do from the fuse box but i don't know    i'm just going to use some female disconnects and insert a fuse in there for the wire   haha i talked so much i don't know if i answered your question    just write back if you need to know more
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
hugity 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

mini14 wrote:
haha i talked so much i don't know if i answered your question    just write back if you need to know more

haha, you're pretty much talking to someone who's never dealt with car wiring/electronics before (besides speaker installation.)  no biggie, what you're saying pretty much makes sense.  so theoretically could i use the + and - wires that run to my cig lighter to power the cathodes?  then i could attatch a switch to turn them on?  i know there are several diagrams floating around here but i've never dealt with electrical diagrams before, so I'd love to learn more about it.   some actual photos would help.  would you mind taking some photos while you work on your Liberty if you can?   what are you using to attatch the cathodes, just an adhesive?  thanks a lot, and good luck with your project.

hugity 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
i have 2 cig lighter plugs in the front of my car.. i'm thinking of just cutting the wires from one of them and use them to power my cathode set, seeing as i'll probably only need to use one cig lighter if i really need it.  whats the amperage of the fuse that goes to the cig lighter?  and would it provide enough safety for 2 cathodes? 
mini14 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
before you cut wires,   you could just get a cigg lighter plug splitter   they have ones that split one plug up to 4 times   so you should be straight with sumthin like that    idk the amperage of your socket   look in your owners manual   it should be in there    i could be wrong but i think the neons are around 15 amps for 4
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
hugity 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  

mini14 wrote:
before you cut wires,   you could just get a cigg lighter plug splitter   they have ones that split one plug up to 4 times   so you should be straight with sumthin like that

no, i mean i'm gonna use the wires from behind one of the cig lighters, there's no need to split the plug.  i'll still have a 2nd plug in case i ever need it to plug my cellphone in or something, but i rarely even use 1 cig lighter, so i'll be fine.

mini14 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
ok that'll work too   just make sure the fuse rating can handle it or it will be a pain in the ass to keep changing it   if the fuse rating is too low and there is 16/18 gauge wire   just up the fuse value to 15
hugity 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  
ok the cig ligher fuse is 25 amps, more than enough.  now the only problem i have left is mounting the switch.  i have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee, which has 3 switches on the bottom of the dash.  my 3rd switch is blank (optional for fog lamps) so i'd like to use this space.  the problem is the switch placeholder doesn't just pop out, it's permamently attatched to the rest of the switch panel and it would have to be cut out somehow. i'm a bit weary of doing that without destroying the whole switch panel.  here's a pic to show you waht i'm talking about http://www.buffalo.edu/~skrueger/switches.JPG
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic