icon

begginer with installing alarms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dannyboi 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 2:28 AM / IP Logged  
im just now getting into mobile electronics i learned how to install  decks n subs so far n installing an alarm is next on my list... im asking for any opinions in a good way to start out learning ... i learned installing subs n decks from my friends but none of them knows how to install an alarm ... soo if you guys got any opinions it would help a great deal.. thanks again
"the greatest skill of a person is a skill unknown"
Powermyster 
Silver - Posts: 962
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 4:17 AM / IP Logged  
whats your level of skill.
do you know how relays work.
do you know how to solder and test wires etc
Why oh Why didn't i take the blue pill
Darren Power
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
I know a few things about alarm installation. I would probably say reading and UNDERSTANDING what you read will be determine how far you will go on your alarm installation. I am sure you must have read something about amp, sub and then ask questions how they functions. Afterwards, you were able to put 2 and 2 together. Why not apply the same strategy?   Bottom line is ASK questions if you are not sure or don't understand a concept! I am sure there lots of professional installer here to help you out.   The more you read and understand, the better your questions is the better the answer on the respond.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.begginer with installing alarms -- posted image.
CRjoslin15 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

I am in the same boat.  Well kind of.  I haven't done the previous installs like dannyboi.  But, I think I can put 2 and 2 together to get 5. 

Installs seem like such a daunting task at first, to me at least as a beginner.  Let me know if you come up with any good tips.

Thanks,

CRJoslin

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V6
OhioMike1101 
Silver - Posts: 343
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
nothing better than having an experienced alarm installer take you under his wing. No amount of reading will replace hands on experience and a mentor IMO.
hazardus 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

Just finished mine (for the most part).  First off, if you have remote start I suggest you do it last.  Keep all wires nice and neat for each connector (zip ties or electric tape).  A lot neater and easier if there is a problem.  Get at least 2 (I used 3) "cheat sheets".  Compare and make sure they're all lining up.  If you have a stock alarm it makes it a little easier as you can see where the manufacturer tapped into the wires.  Get butt connectors and T-taps of different gauge ranges.  Take your time, never rush.  For your first time the instruction manual will look mostly foreign to you.  I have installed many head units and complete stereo systems, but this is a different ballgame.  The best way I've found is to look under the dash and have the manual there.  Don't touch, just read.  Once you find the wires and get a basic idea of what needs to be done, the install should go a lot smoother.  Another think you may concider if you have a short attention span and or lose things easily, is to sit down with your manual and the cheat sheets, and map out what connects to what, and the approx. location of the wire you need for each wire.  Other than that, don't get discouraged, and stay calm.  By the way- depending on the car, you may need to get a special module to bypass the transponder (immobilizer system).  Maybe make friends with some people who work in a mobile shop- they can help if you get stuck.  Guess that's about all I know to say except Good Luck!

mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2005 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  
hey i'm in the same boat trying to understand alarms   im picking up on it ok i guess    i've had to do this before with stock radios and putting in aftermarket amps   but i didn't like the way i did it    whats the best way of tying into a wire    i just used scissors to strip the insulation back and soldered onto the bare and taped over it     is that the way to do it?
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
hazardus 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
I prefer T taps myself.  Much cleaner and less hazardous in my opinion.  No scalding hot metal to ruin interior either...  T taps can be found in about any auto parts store, probably hardware too.  Probably even Wal Mart.  Just close the connector onto the wire you want, it cuts into it leaving it safe, and then clamp the strip wire into othe other piece and snap it on.  Easy on/off then.   Also helpful when/if you have to move things around or mess up.  Just leave the old tap on and pull the connector and wire to tap into the right wire.  By the way... Scissors?  Spend $8 dollars and get some wire strippers.  You'll need them with alarms. 
mini14 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
haha yea scissors i have some wire strippers i never use em though scissors on heavy gauge, but i use my teeth most the time    but yea i've seen those before just forgot about em   alright   thanks man
Alpine CDA-9847---Alpine MRP-T220---Eclipse 36201---6.5" Type S Components---6.5" Type S Coaxials---2 10" Thunder6000's Isobaric
dannyboi 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2005 at 12:49 AM / IP Logged  
thanks alot, yea i'll try to find somebody who knows how to teach me but in the most part, i will start reading and such first then try to do one myself...again thanks for the comments
"the greatest skill of a person is a skill unknown"
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic