icon

HO Alternator or Capacitor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Samt18 
Copper - Posts: 123
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

Hey fellas I'm back.  I bought 2 15" BMF's and a 1000D amp about a month ago, and it had been doing fine.  I had some light dimming, but I didn't think I would need to do too much to fix that.  However, in the past 4 days I've blown two subs.  I blew the left sub about 5 days ago, so I just went up to the shop and had em throw a new one in there, no big deal.  But the next morning I blew the brand new sub just a couple of minutes after I started the music.  So I've obviously got a major problem.  The audio shop thinks that I don't have enough power getting to the amp, so my subs are getting a distorted signal at high volumes and are blowing.  That sounds right to me, so the question is what to do about it.  I've got a 3 year warranty on everything so getting them replaced is no problem.  The people at the audio shop think that a cap will solve the problem, but I think they're wrong.  I think I need a bigger alternator, and hopefully that will solve the problem.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  And, if I end up going with the alternator, I will need help figuring out how many amps I will need.  Thanks.

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

First off, DON"T buy a cap or caps.

Yes your best bet is to upgrade your alt. as well as upgrade the wiring under your hood.

Blowing subs based on starving an amp like you have suggested seems rather unlikely, the more realistic problem sounds like the usual improper gain setting. Although it is possible to induce such a problem, the shop trying to sell you a cap is pretty low.

How did you set your gains? are you using any bass boosts or eq settings?

As a matter of fact, why don't you confront the shop (non-confrontational) and question their use of a cap as opposed to an alt upgrade. I think this should be done when a situation like this arises.  

Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

Hmmm...well that sounds right.  I had the guys at the audio shop set the gains, and I haven't touched em except to turn on the low pass frequency filter at the suggestion of someone on here.  I haven't even looked at the gains because I knew if I did I would want to mess with them and I don't know what I'm doin so I don't wanna mess something up.  Honestly I think the guys up at the shop are trying to sell me a cap because they honestly think that will solve the problem...I think they're more just ignorant than mean, but I don't know.  I think the way to go is an alternator, but what wires do I need to upgrade under the hood?  I have heard of the "Big 3," but don't know exactly what that is.  I want to get this taken care of, but I've already spent more money than I ever wanted to.

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
Alternator
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Any suggestions on a brand?  or ways to save some money?
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  

http://forum.sounddomain.com/forum/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=007801;p=

That should help out.

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  
yeh that does help.  do you think my local best buy would be able to do that?  i don't know enough to be able to do it myself, and i don't really trust either of the shops in town to do it right.  and, do you think that would be enough to solve my problem?  i know you can't really know for sure, but just a guess
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
ok i just went up to the shop and found out that when they installed everything they turned ALL the gains ALL the way up.  thats gotta be what is causing the problem, but they are convinced it's a low voltage.  that might be a small part, but setting the gains all the way up has gotta be what it is.  they really really want to put a cap on it, and they think it will solve all my problems.  these guys really dont know what they're doing.  do u guys think that fixing the gains will solve the problem?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
At this point I would take matters into my hands. Get a meter, get a test cd and set the gains the right way. Even if you don't meter it, using your ears is a hundred times better than just cranking the gain.
Obviously the topic of setting gains has been beat to death so do a search and you shall find the answers.
Samt18 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2005 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
yeh i think i'll do that.  they're still trying to sell me a cap, but it really shouldnt help at all.  they're gonna order it today.  i think im gonna tell them not to mess with the cap, and i'll just try to set the gains myself.  if i lower the gains that will reduce the draw of the amp, will it not?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic