the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Advanced Front Speaker Systems How-to

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  

I haven't actually installed the Extremis yet.  The 3/4" rings will fit behind the grills without a problem.  You will have to cut the metal to widen the hole though.  The speakers I have in there right now have a 3" mounting depth, and I believe there is enough room for another 1/2" to clear the Extremis.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio 

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
Steven, any news for me yet? Send me a e-mail if you will please.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
midbass_champ 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
I have considered doing a 3-way component set for a while now, and this post has shined a new light on the idea.  Thanks!
Amateurs work until they get it right. Professionals work until they can't get it wrong...
Alpine.
audiointl 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2005 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

greetings 12V philosophers!

Yes I'm the new kid on the block, so tis indeed was a great learning experience for me.  I only wish I knew any of this before I wasted 4500 on a set of Focal 3-ways for my 3000gt.  I've since replaced them with MBQs (more space left, same SQ)

Thanks everybody!!

Everything I touch turns to ICE
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2005 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  
Someone asked about "any known effects" from using both active and passive crossovers.  What do you mean by this?  There is no problem using both active and passive crossovers; indeed this is the best way to achieve certain system crossover topologies.  While it is never a good idea to gang crossovers of any type at the same or very similar X-over points, there is nothing inherently problematic with using any combination of active or passive crossovers, or with running speakers full-range.  It all has to do with the system design! 
Support the12volt.com
soundsgood2meaz 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  

Excellent thread loaded with lots of good information. I believe proper crossover's are key to making a good system into a better and better into excellent. Let me ask you one thing please, Do you prefer to use the cross-over settings on either the head unit, EQ, or Amp? I have also been playing around with the MaxxBass 103 signal processor for delivering accurate mid-bass to the front stage.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
I use dedicated crossovers whenever possible as they are almost always higher quality than ones built into another component.  Use the highest quality crossovers available that give you the control you need.
Support the12volt.com
jtholley03 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2006 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

Steven Kephart great opening post. Very valid posts. Not sure where you are with your XDP-4000X. I have a CDX-C90 and had a XDP4000X. I liked the xover ease of use and design I found the time alignment greatly degraded the sound.

I had a 4 way Focal system in my Eclipse. Changed out the Focal tweeters (too harsh) for B&G Neo 3's. Love those. Had them xover to Focal 4. Both in an enclosure on by the a-arm in the front of the dash. Then going down to an 8 in the doors. I eventually took out the 4s and went with the B&G's on the dash and the 8's in the doors angled up towards the windshield with no time alignment.

I went with a larger driver that was light and quick instead of a smaller driver with larger excursion. I had the room in the doors and the larger driver moving less sounded more natural. I now need exactly the opposite.

Fronts were driven by XM-2000R amp. This was heaven.

Focal Audiom 12's in the back driven by Precision Power something (don't remember model).

I still have all the equipment and need to start putting it in my Yukon XL. I was going to buy one of the wired adaptors for the iPod to go to the stock unit in the Yukon. Seems stupid to do that when $100 buys me a XA-300 to hook right to the CDX-C90 which I haven't found anything that comes close as far as preamp/volume control.

So I will be looking for another XDP-4000X for xover use. I liked that part of this.

I now need a smaller mid with a larger excursion as you mentioned since I don't want to recreate my Yukon XL door panels. I will be using the XM2000R to drive the fronts again. I am thinking about going with a true ribbon and seeing if they will hold up in the doors. I have these in my custom built speakers at home and really like the smooth upper extension that is missing in the B&Gs. Either that or some Accutons if the ribbons don't hold up.

Anyway great thread!

Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for you compliments.

jtholley03 wrote:
 I have a CDX-C90 and had a XDP4000X. I liked the xover ease of use and design I found the time alignment greatly degraded the sound.

Time alignment can be tough to set up by ear.  That's why I plan on getting mine set up with proper test equipment.  I may do it one of these days when I finally get back to working on my car.

jtholley03 wrote:
I had a 4 way Focal system in my Eclipse. Changed out the Focal tweeters (too harsh) for B&G Neo 3's. Love those. Had them xover to Focal 4. Both in an enclosure on by the a-arm in the front of the dash. Then going down to an 8 in the doors. I eventually took out the 4s and went with the B&G's on the dash and the 8's in the doors angled up towards the windshield with no time alignment.

Those Neo 3's are very nice tweeters.  They were used in a couple designs at Adire Audio.  In fact we even had a pair of their 6' tall planars. 

jtholley03 wrote:
I went with a larger driver that was light and quick instead of a smaller driver with larger excursion. I had the room in the doors and the larger driver moving less sounded more natural. I now need exactly the opposite............. I now need a smaller mid with a larger excursion as you mentioned since I don't want to recreate my Yukon XL door panels. I will be using the XM2000R to drive the fronts again.

If you can provide some information, we should be able to help you find a good driver for you.  What bandwidth does this driver have to play in?  What size/type of enclosure?  What cone size do you want, and what mounting depth? 

jtholley03 wrote:
I am thinking about going with a true ribbon and seeing if they will hold up in the doors. I have these in my custom built speakers at home and really like the smooth upper extension that is missing in the B&Gs. Either that or some Accutons if the ribbons don't hold up.

I'm not a big fan of ribbons, even though they are the "in" thing right now.  I don't think they are superior to standard tweeters as any advantage that the ribbons have are balanced out by their faults IMO.  And I really don't think they would be a good choice for a vehicle because of how delicate they are.  You would be running the risk of damaging them every time you close your door.  If you want to go unconventional, then I would recommend planars like the Neo 3's.

jtholley03 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2006 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

Agrred about the ribbons being fragile in the car. I am leaning towards Accutons for tweeters. I am looking fo rsomething to go in the stock location in the door of the 2000 GMC Yukon XL. I think there is a 5 there now. I haven't torn it apart to see how much room I have to play with.

Also need to get a hold of another 4000 before I can replace the speakers.

I am certainly open to suggestions :)

Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic