icon

why does my sub pop at high vol

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  

if the subs make a poping noise when your cranking your system it usually means the voice coil is moving to much in the magnet and it's bottoming out....or in simple terms, your trying to make the cone of the sub go further then you it's able to...it's like reving a honda up to 9000 rpm and expect it to run after why does my sub pop at high vol - Page 2 -- posted image.   but as to why it never did that befor untill just a little while ago..the subs could be getting weakerand almost at the end of there life...as short as it was..or will be...

also another peice of info...if the sub says it'll handle 400 RMS then depending on the box design (ported, sealed,etc) will also affect how much power a sub can handle befor it "bottoms out" a ported box doesn't need as much power to push the sub as hard as in a sealed box,

there's just one thing questioning me...you said you have 3  sub and running at 2 ohm...did you series 2 then parallel them down to 2 ohm? or did the store you went to hook them up and tell you there at 2 ohm...because 3 - 4ohm subs parralled is 1.33 ohms...which would change your output numbers and make them higher.

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
I think he meant 2.67ohms
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Doesn't matter how he's got them wired, if his gain is "all the way up" and he's also using "bass boost" he's most likely frying them.  Too bad they're not Sony.
Support the12volt.com
chris305 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
 yea i got the gain up all the way and the bass level up all the way. . also what you said before stang351w im not sure hwo they got it hooked up but he told me it was 2.33 or 2.67 ohms i forgot cause you cant bring 3 subs to an even ohm . and like it is rated at 800 at 2 ohms so thats 266.66 watts into each sub. why would the subs be pushing furture if i dont even have 300 watts running to them . and i got it in a sealed box
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  

chris305 wrote:
 yea i got the gain up all the way and the bass level up all the way. .

This is very unwise.  Your amp is most likely clipping like a weed wacker on steroids.  Probably sounds about as good, too.  Turn that sh*t down and set it up properly, unless you don't care about blowing yur subs rather quickly.

Support the12volt.com
chris305 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
what about if i keep the amp the same and just trade the 12's for 15's will that be a better thing
DYohn 
Posted: August 24, 2005 at 11:11 PM / IP Logged  

chris305 wrote:
what about if i keep the amp the same and just trade the 12's for 15's will that be a better thing

Nope.  Setting the gain properly is the only thing you can do to avoid frying your speakers, no matter what they are.

Support the12volt.com
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

This is very unwise.  Your amp is most likely clipping like a weed wacker on steroids.  Probably sounds about as good, too.  Turn that sh*t down and set it up

That's a very funny analogy there DYohn, LOL!

chris305 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
ok sense that wont help. i guess i really dotn know what a gain is then. what does the gain actually do to the speakers or amp?
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2005 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

Ok try  http://www.bcae1.com and read it a few times maybe. Select number 63 on the right.

After that, maybe some further explaining could be done.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic