the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

PPI PCX-2200, No Sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  
A JL 10W6 has two 4-ohm voice colis, so each woofer can be wired for 2 ohms or for 8 ohms.  Where do you get 6?
Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

possessed007 wrote:
Can I use only one channel from the amp at 2ohm and leave the other channel free?

Why would you want to do that?  If you connect the speaker @ 2ohms to only one channel, you get 400 watts.  If you connect the speaker @ 8-ohms to both channels bridged, you get 400 watts.  Only in the higher-impedance bridged mode the amplifier will run 4 times cooler, much quieter and with far less noise or chance for distortion.  A better solution all around.  Just make sure you set your gain properly for the 8-ohm net load.

Support the12volt.com
possessed007 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  

DYohn wrote:
A JL 10W6 has two 4-ohm voice colis, so each woofer can be wired for 2 ohms or for 8 ohms.  Where do you get 6?

sorry i meant 8 or 4....

possessed007 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 7:08 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

possessed007 wrote:
Can I use only one channel from the amp at 2ohm and leave the other channel free?

Why would you want to do that?  If you connect the speaker @ 2ohms to only one channel, you get 400 watts.  If you connect the speaker @ 8-ohms to both channels bridged, you get 400 watts.  Only in the higher-impedance bridged mode the amplifier will run 4 times cooler, much quieter and with far less noise or chance for distortion.  A better solution all around.  Just make sure you set your gain properly for the 8-ohm net load.

oh yes I forgot .....8 or 2ohms your right.......

Its true I mixed up the JL ohms.....Illl just bridge it and run the JL at 8ohms.....when you mean watch out for the gain at 8ohms can you be more specific?

possessed007 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 7:23 AM / IP Logged  
possessed007 wrote:
DYohn wrote:

possessed007 wrote:

oh yes I forgot .....8 or 2ohms your right.......

Its true I mixed up the JL ohms.....Illl just bridge it and run the JL at 8ohms.....when you mean watch out for the gain at 8ohms can you be more specific?

sorry i menat 8 or 4ohms

DYohn 
Posted: September 07, 2005 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
possessed007 wrote:

sorry i menat 8 or 4ohms

It's 8 or 2 per woofer.

Your amplifier input gain control must be set up to match the output from your HU and to deliver it's power into the load being presented.  Your amplifier produces 400 watts into 8 ohms, which corresponds to about 56 volts output.  Do a search for setting gain or refer here if you don't know how to do this.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic