icon

Dumb install Request by Customers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

What are some of the most idiotic things that a customer has came to you and asked you to put in their car???

I had a guy the other day come into the shop and was looking for an indash DVD flip-out unit for his 2004 GTO....

I quoted him a few different units that we carry and he was satisfied and said he would have to think about it and left..The next day he shows back up at the shop with THIS...Looked me in the eye and said "I found this and think it will be as good as an indash unit what do you think??" He has been a loyal customer to the shop for a long time so I told him that if he thought it would be good enough then it was good enough..

I had to hardwire the power supply and then FM Modulate the sound so it would play over his car speakers....He wanted it mounted in the car BUT he didnt want any nasty holes in the car where they couldnt be covered up later...

So I made a mount and put it infront of the Gear shifter..He was pleased as hell...IT BLOCKS ALL OF THE RADIO EXEPT THE VOLUME KNOB!!!!!  To him this was a very reasonable substitution for an indash 7" Motorized DVD, Nav unit...

SO...What are some dumb things you have been asked to put in cars and what have you actually put in cars..(I see a lot of Pimp my Ride References)

Dumb install Request by Customers -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
Asmodeus 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

OHHH..And how could I have forgot...I had a lady come in and asked what we charged to put a dvd player and a monitor in her vehicle...I told her and she said Great I will be back this afternoon...

When she came back She said the equipment was in the trunk and handed me the keys...I pulled her car in the bay and poped the trunk and just stood there...Stupified....She had an Apex home DVD player and a monitor that looked like it had been stolen 4 or 5 times, and had the screen cleaned with brillo pads...

I went up front giving her the benefit of the doubt and wanting to see what she would say...I asked where the DVD player was....She said that her boyfriend had put it in the trunk and I informed her that there was a home DVD player in the trunk but no mobile equipment....She said I know, I would like you to put the DVD player on the Hump up front so we can get to it...

I had to stop and regain my composure before I told her that the Home DVD player was not designed for a mobile application and would not work....The her young son that was with her looked at her and said..."Mom does this mean we can have the DVD player back in the living room" I had to fake a sneezing attack so I could walk out and laugh...SHE TOOK HER HOME DVD PLAYER AND A SCREEN SHE BOUGHT AT A SHOP MEET TO ME!!!!!!

Her son just wanted to finish watching Finding Nemo which was still in the damn DVD player...She got all pissed cuz her boyfriend told her it would work and told her to bring it to us...

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2005 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
guy comes in with a $150 portable dvd system where the screens velcro to the headrests. he wanted me to install it. REALLY????? Of course i did it (anything for a buck) He comes back and tells me he wants an FM mod so he can play cd's in it too instead of changing his fact. radio. Again I did it. the next day he comes in and wants me to some how mount the screens to the headrests perminately. It was rediculous.
Asmodeus 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  

mobile1 wrote:
guy comes in with a $150 portable dvd system where the screens velcro to the headrests. he wanted me to install it. REALLY????? Of course i did it (anything for a buck) He comes back and tells me he wants an FM mod so he can play cd's in it too instead of changing his fact. radio. Again I did it. the next day he comes in and wants me to some how mount the screens to the headrests perminately. It was rediculous.

Ahhh I gots one up on you along the same lines...A guy Had Kustom Werks Lower and Bag his truck...Custom Paint job Re-Dyed his interior, and a 350ci Motor put into his S-10.....Truck was amazing...Then he brought the truck to us and was asking about monitors in his sun visors...So we quoted him on some raw LCDs and a 1/2 din DVD player...As always he said he would think about it and come back in a day or two...

He shows up two days later with THIS...He wanted us to put the monitors in his Visors and the just mount the player on the Tranny hump between the Katskin covered Recaro Bucket Seats he bought...SO..we did...Had to take the monitors apart and take out the LCDs and extend the ribbon cables to both of them...The make a mount to make them stay in the visor..When we finished the Visors actually looked Decent considering what we had to work with....But the LARGE dvd unit that we had to put on the hump looked like poop....

This guys truck was emaculate...And then this piece of shhh unit...I couldnt believe it...

blazeronspokes 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
i had a customer come in with a 13" tube tv and a wall mount that they wanted to have as an overhead . i almost broke down in tears with laughter!
dday 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
Saw a guy at a car show driving errrr pushing this old beat up Volkswagon Beetle through the lane, he had a Kenwood home reciever and CD player along with the complete Bose cube speaker set up sub and all installed in this thing. The fronts and rears used the home mounting prackets somehow mounted to ceiling and sub was in the cuby behind the back seat. Really surprised they let him push it through the lane, it was a local store show no sponser
diabloscope 
Member - Posts: 48
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
putting head phone jacks for every passenger  on a factory  stereo  in a 12 passenger van conversion (no Video , dvd ,cd  Bone stock )  " Old people  "  he said he wanted everyone to have  there own volume control     (hard of hearing and hearing aid ) 
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2005 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
^^^^^^ I know of that one, might have been 18 years ago but been there and done that. In this case it was so dad didn't have to listen to kids music.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2005 at 5:41 PM / IP Logged  
Had a woman come in and buy a black and white 6" battery powered tube tv and wanted it mounted on the roof. I was not offered the job the other installer was and just turned her away laughing.
The same installer had a cutomer who want a pair of 6x9's installed and told her that we could not do it untill the next day. She got pissed and asked in a very mad demanding voice for Best Buys phone number, not the phone book just the number. He looked her in the eye and asked her if he looker like a f**king phone book. Needless to say she walked out and was never seen again.
Why do you ask if I ate paint chips when I was younger?
blazeronspokes 
Copper - Posts: 102
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
i love stupid customers!!!Dumb install Request by Customers -- posted image.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic