icon

first try at fiberglass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2005 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
Use less cataylst and you will have a longer working time with ur glass.  Where u have missed spots, go back over them with glass.  Then once ur happy with it, use a good body filler, bondo if ur in the USA and sand it down.  recoat with ur body filler and re-sand untill your happy with the finish.  The box will still turn out good, just reglass then fill and sand untill ur happy.  Pic wuld help :)
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  

Bush a coat of resin on the surface then apply the matting over it, use a brush to dab more resin onto the mat so it is completly coveRED / soaled in resin.  Let it dry then repeat.  Layer the matting over the speaker rings but only apply resin up to the exteral perimeter of the circle (ie where the fibreglass will meet the MDF speaker rings).  If you want to glass over the speaker rings you can, but u will only need a few coats over the rings.  Once its all dry you can use sicssors to cut the excess un glassed mat from the inside of the rings, and give it a good sand to ensure that the fibreglass dosnt protrude inot the speaker rings area (ie. were the actuall sub will be sittitng) 

Hope this has helped, any other questions, keep posting.  Goodluck

Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  

How many layers have you put on so far?  Put a little bit of glass on, and the n wait for like 30 seconds and apply the matting.  Once this is dry it shuld be rock solid and held in place.  You can apply more mat and glass while the previous coat is still tacky or you can wait till it totally dries.  Always aplly glass then mat then more glass.  The actuall glass is extremely weak without the matting to reinforce its structure.  You can use silicon to seal the box, or you can apply 2 or 3 coats of glass and matting to the internal corners to make it all air tight.  Im in Australia so i havnt used either of these products, but usually it dosnt matter what brand you use, usually they will all stick togethor.  Pic wuld help me alot, good luck

Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
brandon1120 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

I am new at fiberglassing and this post and reply also. I was lookinbg at something someone had posted a while back. It is exactly what i am wanting to do with mine. Except with a 15 instead of a 12. He gave a some good pictures but didnt explain how he did it very well. I was wondering if someone could look at the pictures and give me a better description of how he did it. I can do all the way down to where he puts that black cloth on. How does he get the cloth to curve like that, and to  stay curved while he is putting on the glass? If anyone has any pictures of how they went through the whole process i would greatly appreciate it.

first try at fiberglass -- posted image.
four pieces of 5/8" mdf, lots of cutting, and lots of glue, got us our ring:
ring sanded, and mounted to the base with a 2x4 to support the stretching:
and all stretched and plugged:
first layer of glass. over the next couple days of working on this when i could, i came to the conclusion that weave is bad, mat is the shiz:
and after the 7th and final layer of glass:
then the real fun begins....SANDING!!:
one of the many things that i learned on this project, is that i really don't like hurricane nuts. my friend ordered them from parts express because of how much better than t-nuts they claimed to be, i didn't find them to be all that. when doing a mock up with the sub, four of the hurricane nuts came out with the bolts half on them, so the only way to get them off the bolts, was to cut a hole in the bottom to get my hand up there to hold them. luckily i read in the forum how to repair such a F-up:
couldn't find any rage gold, not that we looked for days or anything, so went with the bondo premiere. not bad stuff:
and after way more sanding:
which brings us to the current state, fresh primer, waiting for wetsand and paint:

Brandon Hamilton
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
Looks good! Is that the top for the box, or is that the total box? Looks a bit on the small side for them there square woofers..... last one I built was almost 2cu feet for the 8", just curious.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
What you do is streath the cloth and staple gun/nail it in place becuase it is streatched it will hold its shape.  You will have to expermient whit how much tension is needed, and some cornors or sides may need to be streached more or less according to the shape you wish to acheive.  If you can usa a staple gun it wuld be better as staples are easy to remove.  You want to staple the excess material under the MDF.  In picture 4 you can see that the material has been stapled under the MDF and then allowed to hang.  You shuld then do a coat of just plain fibreglass (without using the mat) to get the marterial to stay in one shape.  The material will soak up the fibreglass resin and will dry fairly quickly.  Do a coat of glass and mat, then trim the excess material with a knife.  Do about 7 or 8 layers in total.  When uve done this post again, i will try n get sum pic of the box im going to make this weekend.
Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
I just put my one of my four solo's back in my car, and dam I missed it. No other sub can compair in my book. If you have never had one in your your in for a surprise, you will need to learn to breath inbetween bass notes. The box looks awesome by the way, very nice job.
[quote]Looks good! Is that the top for the box, or is that the total box? Looks a bit on the small side for them there square woofers..... last one I built was almost 2cu feet for the 8", just curious.
If you put an eight inch solo in a 2 foot sealed box i'm sure it didn't last very long. I think the largest box an eight can fit into is .6 cu.
jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
I agree normally only 15" would need a 2 cubic foot sealed enclosure
Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
brandon1120 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 6:18 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply. What is the best cloth to use?
Brandon Hamilton
jlord16 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2005 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
Fleece is the best sorta cloth to use.  You dont want overly thick cloth but it cant be too thin either.  Cotton shirts work well for small jobs, but for bigger enclosures some sorta fleece or cotton material about the same thickness of shirts is good.  The only purpose of this is that if fibreglass was used it would be impossible to keep it in shape.  The fleece is only there to provide a sturdy shape for the fibreglass to be moulded on.  Any other questions dont hesitate.
Clarion DB36MP
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic