icon

Multi-Amp setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nokonaplaya 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  

Im new to this site.  Ive been reading alot of the posts just trying to gain more knowledge as I can tell there are alot of people with a great deal of knowledge on this site.  Im going to be installing a stereo in my blazer which will include 3 sub-amps.  The amps will be 2 MTX1501D powering 1 15" RFL and 1 MTX801D which will be powering 2 12" MTX 9500s. 

What is the best way to go about this?  I have basic knowledge of what im doing but I am not sure what the best way to begin this install is.  I want the 12s to be used during daily driving while the RFL will be there for days in which i need deep loud bass. 

Please Help!

Nokonaplaya
~2001 Blazer Xtreme~
Nokonaplaya@hotmail.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
I suggest adding simple toggle switches to the remote on lead wires for the amps.  That way you can turn on or off which ever one you want at any time.  Welcome to the site.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 13, 2005 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

ditto DYohn's suggestion.  And I'll add this:

• The remote lead carries less than 1/2 ampere, so the simplest, cheapest ON-OFF toggle switches will work.
  • The remote can be split to two wires by soldering a connection.  Each of the two resultant remote wires would have its own toggle switch.  You can place these switches up front near the driver's seat so that you can toggle the amps conveniently.
  • Put a fuse holder and fuse, value 500 mA (1/2 amp) in the main remote wire near the source (deck).  This complies with the hard and fast rule that all power wires must be fused.

examples:  toggle switch, fuse holder and fuse

Another way to toggle would be to use a switch like this one which would do the job of both standard toggles.  With this one it's either one amp or the other on at a time with no chance of running both at the same time.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
nokonaplaya 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  

Using the toggle switches is what I was planning on doing.  I was going to wire it up to control both MTX 1501Ds on the same switch and the 801D on another switch.  Should I use a crossover or anything?  I currently dont have any fuse on my remote on wire is this something that I should do since I will have the remote on wire split to turn on 4 different amps? 

Nokonaplaya
~2001 Blazer Xtreme~
Nokonaplaya@hotmail.com
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
If you ever plan on running all 4 amps at once you might think about a relay also. The remote on  wire on most HU is 300MA, 4 amp turn ons might draw more then that. Ditto, welcome to the site.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2005 at 6:57 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure you have proper amount of current running to the amps. 3 amps could suck some serious juice so upgrade Alt!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic