icon

what amp to buy

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  

alright. can u take a 1k watt amp with 1.0%THD and take another amp with .5% THD also 1000 watts.. hook them up to the same subs.. could a normal persons EAR hear the difference?

SSounds
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
Yes NEWBIE, since distortion is audible above 1.0% NEWBIE. You can make out the difference, NEWBIE, if you have a trained ear, NEWBIE.
God, Newbie is starting to sound like a chocolate bar with how often its being used... A trained ear (one that cares about sound and audible distortion) can pick that out a mile away... just keep that in mind.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Unless the NEWBIE is listening to the amp AT 1000 watts you could NOT hear the differance. If you know what a THD curve looks like almost all amps will run around .01% THD until they reach 90 to 95% percent of the power rating then the THD rises geometricly to it's published rating. Stop banging on people until you know what you are talking about.
ssnds 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

all i gotta say  TCSS.. what amp to buy - Page 2 -- posted image....  another question.. find the THD curve...    

another question.. How about distortion and SQ on the sub end of the spectrum... meaning.. take a say Alphasonik 900series 2200watts rms at i think 2ohms or maybe 1 compared to a Alpine Sub at 1000rms.. what things in subs should i take in consideration... Sensisty? like 83DB or 100DB.. THD of course... hmmm u know what i am sayin.. i am just tryin to find a amp and sub... so many to choose from.. i want SQ with SPL.. but make that f***er bump..

p.s. thanking you for the info.

SSounds
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  
he said 1000 watt amp (so obviously you imply 1000 watts of power). Don't you get that TCSS? So my point is proven... when you put in max power, naturally the THD is a lot more audible... Perhaps you should do some homework...
Crossfire > Hifonics ... Fact.
I do know what i'm talking about newbz.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  

Actually your 1000 watt amp will almost NEVER be run at 1000 watts. But let's say for sake of argument your sub hits a peak that requires 900 watts RMS. Both of these amps will be well below 1% THD. So according to your previuos statement "U" ( I can call you U, because I feel we've become so close lately) below 1% there is know audible differance. Right? So now let's say we want to cover a note 1db more. It's common knowledge that you need twice the power for every three db gain. So, let's see for 1 db each amp would now need 300 watts RMS more where they would BOTH be( according to you "U") audibly distorting. So I just don't think a "trained ear" would hear this. Better duck, here comes the JL truck again!

Impalla, I would just listen to a bunch of subs from differant name brand companies, both in sealed and vented boxes, in you price range with the type of music you like to listen to. Do it at a reputable independent dealer. When you settle on the sub match it up to it's max. recommened RMS power again with a name brand amp. I have my opinions and I would gladely share them with you if you want to PM me.Sensitivity on a sub is meaningless unless they also publish the perameters that were used when arriving at that number ( box size and type etc) which they almost never due.

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  
I'll call you "T" for tard, because you have come close to being hit by a car if not already. Take your 1000 Watt amp, i don't care. Hifonics amps put out garbage distorted power compared to other brands for competitive pricing. Crossfire makes a lot better product than Hifonics. Distortion is far less audible on a better amp. I dont' know how you can say both of these amps will run well below 1% THD when its rated power @ 4 ohms is .5 % THD, and we aren't even talking about running that ohm load now are we? 1Kw to a 4 ohm load is pretty unrealistic in todays audio world, considering that half the posts we get, if not more, consist of running at 1 or 2 ohms, sometimes less. So jump that THD to about 1.0%THD RMS @ 2 ohms and increase it for 1. So, yeah, THD makes a major difference and thats why Crossfire > Hifonics. Trained ear matters.
TCSS, get up before the JL truck goes in reverse back over you.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  

Gee " U " you do get soooooo upset sometimes. Point is if you rate two 1000 amps both at 4 ohms 2 ohms or 1 ohm if they are 1% THD or less at 20 hz to 20khz according to you "U" at 999 watts they would both be under 1% THD and therefore the distortion could not be heard. Now seriously "U" are you telling me your "trained ear" can hear the differance between 999 and 1000 watts? OOOOOOH you are SO " Dominating "

PS: There really is no JL truck, it was a joke!

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 7:49 PM / IP Logged  
I am dominating when rediculous posts are made by a newbie named tcss. Change the scenario a bit more and you might be right, but as it was dealt, you got a lot more to prove to make me wrong. 1 Watt difference supposed to make a difference to me? Thats like saying i won't hear a PYLE amp distort at 100 WRMS... you will, because the amp is garbage. Same thing with Hifonics amps at rated power, the distortion is clearly audible at ohm loads less than 4. Trained ear can pick that up.
I know that no JL truck exists, but i do know that a truck ran you over and its white tailights are lit and it's slowly moving back towards your mangled body...
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
the crossfire amp is better for SQ
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic