icon

Running power wires and rca's very close

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
luckydevil 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
I'm working with a very cramped area and using 4 amps in close proximity. My setup is not in a car and each amp has a dedicated pc power supply.
How close can I run the power wires to the rca's without getting interference, and is this even an issue because of there being no engine noise to worry about?
I know it has been said a million times that the cheapo rca's are just as good as the most expensive rca's in sound quality, but the shielding is what I am concerned about.
Should I ante up for wires with extra thick or double shielding because of how close they are to the power wires, or will the cheapo rca's work just as well in this scenario?
Thanks guys.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

As long as you have good grounds you shouldn't have a problem.  I've always run cheap RCA's and power wires together and have NEVER had a noise problem. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Just curious, if it's not in a car and you are worried about engine noise, what is it in? Boat?
luckydevil 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not worried about engine noise because it is all in an arcade game. Everyone on here has helped me out a ton with the sound system so I'll be sure to post pics and specs once it is all done.
From what I have seen this will be one of the most powerful stereos ever put into an arcade game. Running power wires and rca's very close - Last Post -- posted image.
luckydevil 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Big thanks Mr. Kephart. I always enjoy reading your very informitive posts, so thank you for that also.
redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2005 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
i have never had problem with running rca together....unless they r the cheapest rca in the world
Where theres is a wire there's a way.
GlassWolf 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
as per Richard Clark and Scott Buwalda, running signal and power lines together isn't an issue with any decent quality interconnects that are shielded, since current draw will increase relative to volume level, and at low volumes, current draw is neglegable.
Now if you subscribe to this or not is your call, but I can tell you that you stand a far greater chance of inducing noise by running signal lines/incerconnects close to passive crossovers, than you'll stand by running them parallel to power lines.
I'd also be wary of things like ignition system wiring.
-GlassWolf
Pioneer Stage-4, Orion, DynAudio, Fi

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic