Which direction to point subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chump 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  

Hey guys,

I am in the process of making a custom sub enclosure in my trunk for my 2 kicker 10" subs. I will be creating 2 enclosures which I will be mounting in the rear of trunk, sort of like this:

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/Glassing2/index.htm

The only difference is that I will be putting 1 sub on each side.

My only question is, does it make a difference which direction I point the subs?

Thanks.

mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, if you face them at angles towards each other you will get cancellation...and that is bad. There is a certain point (where the sound waves intersect to be specific) in which sound is virtually in-audible. Basically saying that if you have two speakers playing, at a concert for example, one on each side of you; you can literally walk into a spot and not hear any music at all. What happens is that sound waves are forced away from each other by pressure and the person standing on that line (which is impossible because you are talking about such a thin line) that the worst you would hear is mono. As for subwoofers, the same law of physics apply, it won't be much but if faced at too great of angles you will notice you system sounds a little muffled.

chump 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

What would be the best way to angle them? Should I point them towards my back seats?

Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
mi_what wrote:
Yeah, if you face them at angles towards each other you will get cancellation...and that is bad. There is a certain point (where the sound waves intersect to be specific) in which sound is virtually in-audible. Basically saying that if you have two speakers playing, at a concert for example, one on each side of you; you can literally walk into a spot and not hear any music at all. What happens is that sound waves are forced away from each other by pressure and the person standing on that line (which is impossible because you are talking about such a thin line) that the worst you would hear is mono. As for subwoofers, the same law of physics apply, it won't be much but if faced at too great of angles you will notice you system sounds a little muffled.
That's a little extreme, but you got the point across.
How far apart will the two subs be, and what frequency will you cross them over at? If it's at 80hz or below and they are 4ft or less apart then very little cancellation will occur.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly. The wave-lengths below a certain frequency will only be slightly out of phase. Most likely it won't even be audible.
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well, he said they were going to be two boxes across from each other (roughly about three to four feet in a normal size car) and any normal setup should be tuned below 80Hz. I wouldn't go as far to say my view is extreme...it is simple physics and musical acoustics. He merely asked if mounting them a certain way would affect the way they sound and yes it does; will it adversly affect it? the answer is no, it won't. If you read my last sentence in that post it says that it wouldn't be much at all if any...it really only matters if he plans on doing comp.
chump 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

They will be about 3 feet apart from each other. I did some searching and I found out that if the subs are facing with the magnet pointing towards the back seats that they sound better. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

I snapped some pics of my project tonight so when I get home I will post pictures of what I've done so far.

Cougar.Modder 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
I myself like the way of the subs pounding away from the inner of the car. They get more bass reflection when it hits the rear of your car's trunk and gives a better effect of sound. I hope you go with the subs driver facing the rear end of the car's trunk. You could always try them both ways and decide on your own preference as well. THats the true test. Waiting for the pics.
Alpine 7830 HU-4X100 W McIntosh -2X110 W McIntosh-MB Quart Q's Mid Tweets-4X10" Phoenix Gold Subs-Phoenix Gold EQ215ix-AC Epi-PG Line Driver-Phoenix Gold 1 Farad Cap -Clifford Avantguard 4-2 Ear Plugs
fr33w0rld 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2005 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
for each car it's different i know a guy were it sounds the loudest with the sub at the back of the trunk ponting to the rear of the car
HU Alpine CDA-9855 Amp MA Audio 802sx 4,400 RMS 1 ohm Sub 18" MA Audio RMS 5,000 @ 1.5 ohm Ported Box Car 99 civic Si
chump 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  

Here is the pic:

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/96LudeSR/sub.jpg

The cone of the sub will be facing the rear of the car.

Let me know what you guys think.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic