icon

Which direction to point subs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
318ti 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  

OK....  I sincerely hope that all of you people asking questions on here are also searching the internet for the REAL answers.  after reading some of the posts in this thread, im almost ready to loose my dinner.  you guys are ALL spitting out information that you heard somewhere else about phase cancellation, time allignment, and bass reflections.  seriously, i am ashamed that i even replied to this thread, but as a "live audio technician" and sound re-inforcment desginer, it truly makes me sad to hear such non-sense being written on a site as good as this one.  the REAL answer to your question can easily be found on this website, please take the time, and double check your resources.  

BTW.... there will hardly be any audible cancellation.  so i wouldnt worry about it, and if you think there is some cancellation, scratch the idea and start all over again!!!  thats half the fun  :)

mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, I'll ignore the fact that you are an ignorant jackass by assuming all people on here are teenagers throwing together their first system. For a "Live Audio Technician" you sure are in the dark on ALOT of key points when dealing with acoustics. Here I did some research for you:
Click here to learn the real deal about soundwave properties
This will explain EVERYTHING you want to know about how wave travel affects its surroundings.
"Oh and just for your information I am a 98C (Electronic Warfare Signals Intelligence Analyst) in the United States Army...it is MY PROFESSIONAL job to know and understand frequency and wavelength."
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 11:22 AM / IP Logged  
Ok guys, lets not get into a "mine is bigger then your's" arguement, because we all kknow I'd winWhich direction to point subs? - Page 2 -- posted image. LOL
Seriously though. Read this article, it contains REAL measurements of in car bass response with the only variable being the placement/aiming of the sub:
Properly aiming your subwoofer
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  
That's a great site. I wasn't comparing sizes...merely comparing who's has more experience Which direction to point subs? - Page 2 -- posted image..
No really, I just couldn't believe the audacity of that fellow telling us that we don't know anything because he made a title up for himself.
*Chump* seriously though, the wave cancellation that we are talking about isn't much at all. You wouldn't even be able to notice with the human ear (unless you've been raised around car audio all your life) I was just giving you something to think about when actually doing the aiming.
318ti 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
i was not out to insult poeple, and i definiately did not say that you guys dont know what you are talkin about.  im ust tired of hearing mis-applied information being shared on forums. ....not just this one, there are others too.  and im not doiubting your experience or anything about you. 
sorry if you guys were offended, or insulted,      my point was ust to tell you that not all info you hear on here is correct.  you all can believe what you want to, but the best kind of information is information, either in a book that is credited, or information you see for your eyes.   please, ust take the extra 5 minutes, take some readings and crunch the numbers.  the info is there to do i
chump 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  

I appreciate all of your help guys. I know you all love pics, so here is what my project looks like so far:

Which direction to point subs? - Page 2 -- posted image.

I have also stretched the fleece over it, but this pic was to give you an idea of how the subs will be pointing.

mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Looks like you had fun so far. They really don't look angled; did you just decide to face them towards each other? I would sand that resin off of the rings first though. It'll help your subs mount flush on them which will limit air escaping. Looking good so far.
boulderguy 
Silver - Posts: 510
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

Kinda tough to visualize those in a car or even answer the question w/o knowing what kind of car we're talking about...

Regardless, I don't believe you'll see any noticeable cancellation or propogation based on placement unless you've got a damn good ear & spend time analyzing these sort of things.  You will see certain parts of your car rattle more tho, and other spots may be significantly louder outside the vehicle.  that's what I'd pay attn to.

I agree that the first answer you got here about the "dead spot" between concert speakers is a little silly.  There may be some theoretical value there, but you could do an experiment in your car by putting your ears in the middle of the cabin between the two door speakers.  You won't find any real dead spot.

abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
That looks awesome. Click on MY LINK at the bottom and check out the angle I did my sub in. I have one 10 in a glass box and it hits harder than I could ever have imagined.
Why do you ask if I ate paint chips when I was younger?
chump 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  

mi_what: I agree that they are not angled that much which is sort of what I wanted to do. Regarding what you mentioned about sanding the resin, the sub will be mounted onto the inner mdf ring, the outer mdf ring was just so the sub would be mounted flush and not stick out.

abovestock: I visited your webpage. Your enclosure looks good. I also like the brake calipers, they look awesome. What kind of paint did you use, and how are they holding up? Is there a particular reason you used an airbrush?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic