icon

New Sub Box with Pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Cougar.Modder 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I finally got my box finished to the sanding stages. I need a little advice on this one last step for my enclosure. I forgot to seperate the two chambers between the 2 left subs and the 2 right subs in the middle of the box. There is a gap between the fibreglass and the support in the middle of approx 1.5 inches. I am wondering if I should seal this to make each 2 subs their own chamber or will it make that much of a difference to leave the gap of space there? I was thinking of using insulating expanding foam if I needed to fill that gap up. Any suggestions? Getting ready to sand and prep and want to have it done right since this is my first attempt and so far I am happy. Feedback appreciated all.
New Sub Box with Pics -- posted image.
Thanks for the feedback in advance.
Alpine 7830 HU-4X100 W McIntosh -2X110 W McIntosh-MB Quart Q's Mid Tweets-4X10" Phoenix Gold Subs-Phoenix Gold EQ215ix-AC Epi-PG Line Driver-Phoenix Gold 1 Farad Cap -Clifford Avantguard 4-2 Ear Plugs
j68rh 
Copper - Posts: 147
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
the box looks great and from what I can see i would leave the 2 subs on either side like they are as long as they are seperated down the middle
05honda 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
thats really good for a first attempt....looks like you took alot of time preping the mdf portion of the box......
Cougar.Modder 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so far I have one person saying to make sure the middle is sealed off to have two chambers. Any more thoughts out there??? Thanks for the compliment on my first attempt and I won't even get into the time spent on this project. But just a hint, don't ask my wife either. Whooooaaa!!!
Alpine 7830 HU-4X100 W McIntosh -2X110 W McIntosh-MB Quart Q's Mid Tweets-4X10" Phoenix Gold Subs-Phoenix Gold EQ215ix-AC Epi-PG Line Driver-Phoenix Gold 1 Farad Cap -Clifford Avantguard 4-2 Ear Plugs
rustyspring03 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2005 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Again the box looks great. I personally would make sure you have 2 chambers. sounds better IMO
Rusty Spring
98 s10 reg cab
Type R 12 Inverted between seats
Type R 6.5 for doors
Type S 5.25 on the dash
Alpine MRD-M605 mono
Alpine MRV-F345 4ch
One_Dieu 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
Man that box is going to look sick. I know that your not don yet, but I can seen the end product in my head. Keep the pictures going. New Sub Box with Pics -- posted image.
Respect the Blood Line
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with rustyspring03, two chambers would be better IMO.  I would try Liquid Nails, it dries really hard and should do the trick.  I don't think expanding foam will hold with the amount of pressure inside the box. 
davedyer79
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  
The only thing I would be worried about is cancellation do to having the speakers on different planes.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah they talk alot about cancellation. You might want to try and cut out a piece of mdf that fits in the hole doesnt have to be real tight then hot glue it in place. Then reach inside the box and put like a layer of glass on each side to seal it off and hold the mdf in place.  Oh and btw that box looks really nice, keep up the hard work man.  Keep the pics coming.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 3:55 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with the majority of the posts, you suld seal it off into 2 chambers.  realitycheck brings up a good point, thats how i wuld seal the box off, if it was me.  I wuld proberly do 2 coats of glass though, it looks sik so far
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic