icon

1996 Windstar Problems, No Sound

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shad5150 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, speakers inicate that this is the premium system. It has rear speaker control from the back seat. I have puchased the correct harnesses. The new deck has power and is working. I have lined up the speakers correctly as well.
There is no sound. There does not seem to be any problems that I can see. Is there an amp in the ford factory system that runs the speakers. I am truly stumped.
As well the two harnesses I purchased do not seem enough, as the factory Am/FM cassette had three going into it. There is one harness coming out of the vehicle that I do not know where to put it.
The colors of those two wires are:
Blue/Pink
Tan
Any help would be great.
Thanks.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
What did you do with the blue/white wire on the harness?
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
sneakycyber 
Silver - Posts: 413
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
What type of premium system is it?.. You may not have connected the amp remote turn on lead.
shad5150 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
The blue/white wire from the harness is not connected to anything. There is no wire coming from the vehicle that actually attaches to anthing. I have my blue/white wire hooked up from the deck but alas that wire leads to nothing. There is no power antenna on the van either.
That harness from the vehicle is as follows.
Light GREEN/ Purple - Battery
Black - Ground
Yellow/Black - Power(ACC)
Light Green - Illumination(That is what the wiring diagram says)
Empty
BLACK/ Green - Ground
Empty
Empty
The second has all eight wires for the speakers. The third(which I have no idea what it is for, however, it did go into the factory AM/FM Cassette) has two wires that are:
LightBlue/Pink
Tan
I do not know what type of premium system it is. I only know that both front speakers say premium on them and any other information is hard to come by.
sneakycyber 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

ok here is what I have..

On the gray plug with the clip on the top from left to right it is: power antenea, Amp Turn on, Ilumination, Dimmer, 12 volt ignition, dimmer ground (may be blank on factory side), 12 volt battery. on the black harness clip on top, left to right it is: left front+ left front-, left rear+ left rear-, right front+ right front- right rear+ right rear-. There is also a bypass that you need to connect at the factory amp. Theses are 2 more black plugs one is 8 pin square the other is 6 across with 2 pins on either end. You connect these two harnesses together thus eliminating the amp. The kit is Metra part number TT-5514. I hope this helps. With out the car or the harness infront of me I cant tell you what the factory colors are only what they wires in those positions should be.

shad5150 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
sneakycyber wrote:

ok here is what I have..

On the gray plug with the clip on the top from left to right it is: power antenea, Amp Turn on, Ilumination, Dimmer, 12 volt ignition, dimmer ground (may be blank on factory side), 12 volt battery. on the black harness clip on top, left to right it is: left front+ left front-, left rear+ left rear-, right front+ right front- right rear+ right rear-. There is also a bypass that you need to connect at the factory amp. Theses are 2 more black plugs one is 8 pin square the other is 6 across with 2 pins on either end. You connect these two harnesses together thus eliminating the amp. The kit is Metra part number TT-5514. I hope this helps. With out the car or the harness infront of me I cant tell you what the factory colors are only what they wires in those positions should be.

The problem is with my gray harness. From left to right I am missing the wires going into the gray harness. From left to right from my Windstar the first two slots on the left are empty.
Yet I have a small harness that is a black 2 pin that once fit in the old factory AM/cassette deck. I do not know what these are for and I am sure that they are the ones causing me the grief.
If anyone knows what that two pin harness is for, I think it solves my problem. Speakers, power, ground all appear to line up. Deck is working just no sound.
Also, where is the factory amp located in the Windstar?
Thanks a lot by the way, to all who have so far helped me.
sneakycyber 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2005 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

Ok after trial and error were down to this.. the last two wires that are in black connector must be your amp leads one is your amplifier ground and one is the turn on lead. Check them both with either a logic probe or a Digital MM and see if they are grounded. If they are both grounded hook one at a time up to 12volts and see if you get any sound with everything on. If this doesnt solve your problem I will call a local dealership here and try to get it figured out for you. I would hate to leave this unsolved. My shop is closed on sundays so I can call a dealership on monday if need be.

gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Okay, so on the factory plug... the last two positions are empty, correct? And both the 8 wire grey and the 8 wire black plugs are the same style (flat, rectangular, the only difference is the color)?
If so... there probably isn't an amp in the van. As far as your mystery 2 wire plug.... there are rear audio contols?
Can you "pop" any speakers directly from the 8 wire speaker plug using an AA battery?
If there is a wire in the last position on the factory 8 pin power plug (with the constant 12V being considered as the "first" position), that is your amp turn on wire, with power antenna being right next to it. Even if there isn't a power antenna.... they sometimes use the "power antenna" wire to flip the amp on as well.
As to where the amp is actually hiding in that thing if there is one? Dunno.... never had to look for it. Possible locations are: In behind glovebox (vaguley remember seein an amp there once), pass. kick, or lower dash below radio.
HTH
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2005 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

Does your windstar have the headphone jacks behind the driver's seat?  If  so, you will have to run new speaker wire from your HU to the amp that is under the headphone plug.

Do it right the first time
shad5150 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
raydawg357 wrote:

Does your windstar have the headphone jacks behind the driver's seat?  If  so, you will have to run new speaker wire from your HU to the amp that is under the headphone plug.

Yes it does. How do I do that exactly?
Thanks.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic