icon

2004 Honda Civic EX LED Tubes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
randeye 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2005 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I have been beating my brains out trying to find information on wiring diagrams, harness pinouts and such, and found LOTS of info, NONE of which was what I need.
See, all I want to do is hook up some interior LED tubes for footwell lighting, and I want it to behave like my dome lights: Off, Door, and On.
I pulled the front interior lighting housing out and found my wire, the RED / green lead, the one that obviously must come from the tarry circuit connected to the door switches.
Lo and behold, the wiring from the interior lighting housing connects to a wiring harness just above the housing's mounting position. Its path seemed obvious enough, so when I traced the wiring to the driver's side kick panel, there I found my current stopping point: A huge gaggle of wires, harnesses, wrapping, tubing, etc.
SOOOOOOO, how in the #$&% do I find my needle in a haystack. I have been online for hours and have found out how to replace my radio, how to install an ashtray, and that there is an alarm plug on the driver's side that has all the wires from the door switches, and if I hook up my circuit tester just right I can toot my horn in a rapid machine-gun like fashion as the probe tip skips around the lead. All of this is very fun and entertaining, but CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE THE TARRY CIRCUIT AND/OR WIRING IS LOCATED? PLEASE? :)
It's such a simple thing: hook up two LED tubes to a wire. I just don't feel like tearing up all of my harnesses and spending hours searching for a needle in a haystack, and before anyone asks, yes, I have read the FAQ and used the search engine. I have searched literally for over six hours on every web site from crutchfield to jcwhitney to 7thgencivic.com to here, trust me, I really have done my homework on this one, but I keep coming up zilch. I even went to Autozone to look at their manuals, and none of them would help me either.
Any ideas? Anyone? Bueller?
randeye 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
SOMEBODYout there has to know the answer, or have a manual or something that does!!! I just don't want to hav to pay 120 dollars for some manuals for ONE stinkin' wire!!!
C'mon peeps! Help a brutha out!
Autoobsession 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

Just go to the main domelight. There will be three wires on it. One will be constant 12volts, one will be ground, and one will be your switched. This car has a negative domelight circuit which means when the doors are closed the switched wire will show you 12volts. When the doors are opened it will switch to negative.

So assuming there are two wires on your neon tubes, one for power and one for ground this is what you have to do. Hook up the 12volt wire to 12volts which u can find coming from the ignition switch. It will be a white wire. Then you can hook up the ground wire to the negative switched wire from the dome light.

Stripes26051 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
why not just run your own wire from the dome light to where you need it instead of putting up with all that bs
89 honda crx 1 15" Power HX2 jblbp1200.1 rockford coaxials 4 channel comin soon
93cougarxr7se 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
Ground to a common ground, any metal. Then take the positive from any interior light that comes on when the door opens. Ash tray light, or something. Floor light. Shouldn't be too hard. Get a digital multimeter (not bad to have anyway) and put the ground on the chassis, and start probing around for a positive. When you get 12V, you have your positive. Shut the door/interior lights off, and if it goes to 0V, you're good. Or if there's some bulb, just splice into the wiring for it. Neons shouldn't pull too much power. If you want to know, take a multimeter, hook the ground to the negative lead of the battery, and the ground of the multimeter to the positive of the LEDs (probably want the amp at its 10A+ setting so you don't blow the fuse) and you can figure out how many amps they pull. If it's only a couple amps or less, you'll be fine hooking it up to an interior light.
Another idea, twist the switch out, and you should have some wires coming off of it. Test them out like discussed earlier with the multimeter/voltmeter and whichever reads 12 volts, there's your positive.
87 Astro 4.3L; Eclipse CD5000
88 Bronco 351W on 32x11.5x15 Yokohamas, Clarion Phaze 1 Components.
Home: MTX Thunder8000 in truck box & Parts Express amp.
pelirojo 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
I'm wanting to do the same thing on my '06 EX Sedan. however, your post is the most revelant thing I've found. :)
I agree it should be as simple as the EET's have posted. Hook in to the 12volt door switch. Problem is finding a schematic.
Official Honda accessory for this year/model is a constant light when your parking lights are on. Rather, I'd like a door open light.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic