icon

Electrostatic car audio speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
london luke 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

There is no way on earth a company will do all that work to sell if possible 2-3 sets a year. I have NEVER heard of them. And posting on a Uk forum and a Asia forum no one has ever seen a set in a car!!

I could get the guys who are "ment" to be the finest "Quad" (Uk speaker company) restorers to build me a Panel of any size for less than $400.00. Then it will need the "Box " of tricks.. recon no more than $300.00 .  Cant be much in it?

But would love to know what voltages are used ?? !! As my "Quad" 57's have thousands of volts inside them !!

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 29, 2005 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
london luke wrote:

There is no way on earth a company will do all that work to sell if possible 2-3 sets a year.

Au contraire!  A company certainly would do such a thing even if they didn't expect to sell ANY of them.  Just for the fact that they did it and were the first to do it.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
london luke 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 3:02 AM / IP Logged  

Ok... yes its a good point. It puts them on the "map"

But if no one can afford to buy them then its a waste of time. I spoke to a American banker (Client0 today who lives in London. Now this guy is the biggest kid in the world !!  he wants TOYS TOYS TOYS !! and can afford th elot. He laughed about these speakers !! No way in hell would he pay that amount for  a car speaker. Yet he has a Full mcintosh, and genesis systems  in most of his cars.

I love electrostic speakers.. But they ar enot easy to work with and can be dangerous !!

I still recon a company could do it all in for less than $1500.00. But would they sell???

I would love to listen to the companies demo car !!

jph1121 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 3:08 AM / IP Logged  
I'd like to ask another few questions about the kit you have. What frequencies do your speakers play? with a 5"x5" kit, can you play down to at least 400 hz? How loud do these things play? Do you hook them up to normal car audio amps? How many watts do you push through them?
Thanks
jph1121 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, and in response to london luke...
Phoenix Gold produced an amp that retailed for $100,000 to $250,000.
Also, one more question I forgot to add in my previous post; who produced your kit?
outtaluck72 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  

the 5X5 kit is designed to play down to 500hz if I'm not mistaken. the transformer presents a 4 ohm load on the amplifier, any car amplifier will do. when I had them in my saturn I had them running off a JBL GTS150 amp and the electrostats were screaming! I was really shocked how loud they could get. these speakers are not for everyday car audio but if you have the desire and skills to integrate these speakers in your vehicle you will have an ultimate front stage.

Luke, you are right about the dangerous part. I had been "bit" a couple of times by the electrostats when they were playing. if you want to feel what it's like just put your finger in a house outlet. that's just a taste.

Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
jph1121 wrote:
Oh, and in response to london luke...
Phoenix Gold produced an amp that retailed for $100,000 to $250,000.
Also, one more question I forgot to add in my previous post; who produced your kit?
It's actually $99,999 for the MPH 3600. A one of a kind amp handbuilt just to be built.
And the TiElite10k is close to completion. That's 10k watts for $10k.
london luke 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2005 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  

Is this all about "My toys cost more , so must be better than your"??

Its all a Joke !! Its like putting  the "Rolling Stones PA in your house. Will sound loud... But you wont be able to sit and listen to it !!

Having so much power in a car with all th erelated batteries and stuff. renders the car usless. I have always laughed at how car hifi  seems to come up with all these stupid  power ratings etc.

Domestic hifi folk stopped this ages ago.... we plod along with "real" figures .

jph1121 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2005 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
I'm still hoping to find out who produced your kit! It wasn't critical mass was it?
At this point I'm looking at building my own electrostats for my car as I have a guide that appears to make the process pretty easy.
I'm planning on running the electrostats for my front stage and swapping out the 6.5" in the rear with diamond audio hex midbass drivers to provide the lower end with a couple of JL 13W6s pushing the super low frequencies. Most likely looking at JL slash amps or diamond audio D9 amps all around.
I figure that should give me one hell of a sound stage!
outtaluck72 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  
at the time it was Mass Engineering who is now Critical MAss.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic