icon

2 Way Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deepinit 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  

OK I've done some research on the Autopage RS855LCD and the Compustar 2w900FMR and I am still wondering which is better?  I am planning on put this system in a 2005 Nissan Maxima I want to use the RS, security, normal door and trunk functions as well as an  Aux output for window roll down.   I've read that the compustar has problems especially in cold weather, is this still the case?  Are there any issues with either unit regarding tach or voltage sense?  I am really interested in opinions and views on both products regarding relieability (failures), durabilty of the remotes and functionality. 

I am planning on getting one of these in the next few days,  and would really appreciate any input on any of these units.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

redpeppers 
Silver - Posts: 483
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
i would look into CLifford or Viper.....i install them all the time and never have any problems.....plus....they r both made by DEI and they have the number 1 tech support of any
Where theres is a wire there's a way.
larkster 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

viper is good product but the whole reason you buy a 2-way is for range  that is one thing compustar has viper beat 2 times over.....viper supposedly to have fm unit mid jan.

anyway compustar would be my choice.  the cold issues have been resolved.  lots of nice features and  range........

deepinit 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
I've look at DEI but as larkster mentioned it lacks in range and can't wait until jan, thus the reason for looking into Autopage and Compustar.  I know Compustar has a greater range but autopage is the minimum I would consider. 
iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  
redpeppers wrote:
they r both made by DEI and they have the number 1 tech support of any
They only have tech support for authorized dealers/installers...NOT do-it-yourselfers. If you have problems with your install we may be able to guide you through it but DON'T expect any help from tech support.
Steve G
Rkodis 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
That really sucks about the tech helping situation.
Well i have a question about the 2way paging alarm.
Does the viper VIPER 791XV have the auto start? I was planning on getting a new alarm system, because my old viper alarm does not have the LCD controller, thus i have to rely on the siren to catch my attenion. And if it did have the auto start as optional... GREAT!
1. Is it possible to buy the viper LCD pager, and pogram it to my older model viper alarm? rather than buying the whole new system?
2. Autopage (most private dealers quoted for $300) or purchase the VIPER 791XV (ebay for $220 and have sombody install it)? *security/electronics personel of course who is willing to do it on the side for extra $$$ *
3. Most alarms will not sound unless car is hit hard, or vibration is really loud. I would like the alarm to be as sensitive as possible, event he slightest exhaust, or the door handle pulled in an open motion. Could that be set to be very sensitive?
4. What would you suggest? any feedback would be great thanks! sorry for going off topic!
Rkodis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
About the range questionare,
for the VIPER 791XV, is 2 way lcd a problem with - how far the lcd remote can be from the car and still pick up signal and etc..?
So if i parked at one end of a hypothetic mall, and walked towards the other end of the mall, if someone were to hit my car, would the lcd be able to pick up signal and warn me?
deepinit 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

iskidoo wrote:
redpeppers wrote:
they r both made by DEI and they have the number 1 tech support of any
They only have tech support for authorized dealers/installers...NOT do-it-yourselfers. If you have problems with your install we may be able to guide you through it but DON'T expect any help from tech support.

Yup, I know, I have some bad experiences with installers so I have learned to do my own... I have installed a couple of DEI alarms and remote starts, but not on a car this complicated but I do know electrial and I know how to use a meter so it's a step in the right direction.  Forums such as this helps thru a lot of the road bumps...

tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2005 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
I'd go with the autopage. the range is about 2000 ft, but the programming rocks. it can be programmed to ignore the domelight for 45 seconds after arming, and after the ignition turns on and off. it can beat the factory security by unlocking before start, and relocking after start, and then relocking after shut down to rearm. it has the driver paging that the compustar has, and it can monitor the temperature of the vehicle from the remote. the only thing I don't like about it is its inability to recieve a signal from the remote while it is sending a signal to the remote. that is to say, if the alarm goes off, it will do so for upto 10 seconds before you can shut it off. other than that, the unit is great.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
Rkodis 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 03, 2005 at 12:52 AM / IP Logged  
Autopage is better than VIPER791XV?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic