icon

Subwoofer & Amp info?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssjcloud 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2005 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
So I had boughten a 1800 watt legacy amp and 2 1000 watt xblod subwoofer (rms 450 each). Not knowing what would happen I had a friend hook it all up and within a month they stopped working. I checked what was wrong and it sounded like a slight ringing in one of the subwoofers and when I increased the volume it just stopped working. I'm guessing that one of my subwoofers has blown a coil. The friend that put it in is gone...
Now I am deciding to buy two more subwoofers but I'm not sure if I'm wasting my money or not. Here are the specs of my amp and the subs that I have(keep in mind that one is broken)
__AMP__
Legacy 1800 Watt Full MOSFET High Power 2 Channel
# 2 Channel Amplification
# 2 x 900 Watts Output
# 1 x 1800 Watts Bridged Output
# 1800 Watts Total Output
# Polished Chrome Finish w/Plexiglass Panel
# Remote Control Bass Boost (0-+1808 @ 60Hz)
# Fully Adjustable Electronic Crossover Network
# Soft Turn On/Off Circuit
# 2 Ohm Stereo Stable Bridgeable Into 4 Ohms
# MOSFET PWM Power Supplies
# Variable Gain Control
# Remote Turn On/Off
# Hi/Low Level Inputs
# Power On LED Indicator
# LED Protection Indicator
# Dimensions: 10.4''W x 2.6''H x 17''L
link to it on ebay - here
__Subs__
2 1000 WATT XBLOD SUBS
high-rigidity compound polypropylene cone
Santoprene rubber surround
Dual Damper Suspension
High Power Handling
frequency response 26-2,900 Hz
power range 10-450 watts RMS
peak power handling 1000 watts
sensitivity 92 dB
These subs are old so I can't find them on the internet anymore but they are very similar to this
__AMP WIRING KIT__
here
__HEAD UNIT__
here
Now I'm deciding on buying these subs
2 PRECISION AUDIO 12" 3600 WATT SUBWOOFERS
# 1800 Watts Max Output each (900 WAT RMS...I'm guessing)
# Dual Voice Coil
# 4 Ohm
# HUGE Double Magnet: 150 oz
# 5-Sided Polyethylene Cone
# Rubber Surround with "Stroke Stabilizer"
# 4-Layer Edge Wound Voice Coil
# Impedance : Dual 4 ohm
# Gold Plated Binding Posts
here it is on ebay
Please I need extreme help deciding what I should buy. Also I would like some opinion on how I should hook it all up(including series, parallel, ohm load, and all that stuff). If you completely disagree with my plan please tell me!
All information is greatly appreciated. Thank You.
-ssjcloud
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2005 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  

You are dealing with flea market gear here. All of it unfortunately. So in reality it really isn't going to make a difference how you hook it up. You will end up disappointed.

By the way, "boughten" is not a word.

tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with dwarren, this is not name brand stuff.I would recommend getting off of Flea Bay and do your stereo shopping at a local independent shop. It might cost more but the product, service and advice will be worth it. If you have already bought the woofers, wire each woofer in parallel and run one to each channel. Welcome aboard the sight.
There is no such thing as free installation!
ssjcloud 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2005 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
well I am going to keep the amp but I will take the advice and maybe look at better subs maybe these?
audiobahn
I would like more info on which items are the flea stuff. I'm guessing it's everything but the head unit. So i'm guessing I should sell it all and start over.
The one thing I really need to know is if I really need to sell the wiring kit. I'm guessing that's ok right?
Thx
ssjcloud
ssjcloud 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
I am looking for someone to give me some advice on a good amount of watts needed to hit hard and good in a 4 door car. maybe some suggestions on some name brands too. I had bought a system and am selling it now because it is crap. you can see it here
Please I am in desperate need of information since as you can see I am a newbie. Anyone's suggestions or information is well appreciated. Than you.
-ssjcloud
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Post more info. Always post the exact make / model of car, what you have that you are keeping for stereo gear, and what sort of budget you have for a system. Edit your profile as well to show us where you are from, Canada, USA or other country, this way you can be directed to a proper person that may be somewhat local to you.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ssjcloud 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
lol I thought I had created another topic or...whatever ignore that here link in my last post.
ok I have a 1999 nissan altima GXE with this head unit installed
I guess my budget would be from $300 to $700
hope this info is enough...
-ssjcloud
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

From the look of it you are using your radio to power your highs.  Can you post if you are looking for clarity and a nice sound or a system that just says you have some subs.  If you like your amp keep it but it will definitely not put out the power it states.

We will also need to know if you want 1 or more subs. 

ssjcloud 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
I guess I want clarity but I do also want some hard hitting subs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that If i cant have both I want a system that just says I have some subs.
I already have a bandpass dual 12 inch sub box so I guess I want to use two subs. But if there is better info including just one sub I would like to know.
footbaldd 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2005 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
I would suggest starting out by getting a good amp, and by looking at your budget hifonics would not be a bad place to start. As for subs you could go a number of ways. You might be able to pick up a pair of used jlw3s for pretty cheap, but I would do a little reading and check out some different setups before you jump out and buy something. It would also be a good idea to get an enclosure that is suited for the sub/s that you end up going with.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic