icon

Bigger fuse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
i'm in the process of building my new system that so far consist of two directed 2400d that are 2400 rms@ 2ohms and theyt each use a 200a fuse. I've seen anl fuses as big as 300a but the total of my system is close to 500a how should i fuse this and what size wire should i be using maybe two 0 gauges?
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
also does any one know if i should run 0 or 4 gauge to the amps
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
Reeceddogg wrote:
also does any one know if i should run 0 or 4 gauge to the amps
I would run 0 gauge to a distrubition block and then 2awg or 4awg to the amps itself, It really all depends on what gauge the amp will accecpt on its power terminal
--Skold
2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
godblessdremil 
Silver - Posts: 273
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
Ya get the zero gauge 4 gauge deffinetly will not handle 400 amps. I would have a 0 going to a block and then use 2 gauge on the amps. And a fuse big enough does exist for 500 amps but there like 80+ a pop so i would suggest a circut breaker. I would do this for just the amps i would run another cable for the other stuff. As for the fuse a main one 6 inch from the power source to protect the wiring. And judging by taht power i am guesing you have an aftermarket alternator and probally another battery right?
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
the circuit breaker i've only seen up to 400a where could i get a bigger one. So i'm going with 0 gauge from the battery which if all goes as planned a kinetik 2400(2600amps)to circuit breaker to fused dual 200a anl dist block in trunk too two gauge to each amp. plus a seperate power wire, probably just 8 gauge, for rear tv's, tv tuner, crossover,and ps2. that all total around 30 watts.
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
is it possible to wire a set of fuses together to equal total current draw
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
the biggest circuit breaker i've actually found was 200a from stinger so could i wire two of them in parellel to acheive my 400a requirement
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

Reeceddogg wrote:
is it possible to wire a set of fuses together to equal total current draw

No.  But you can run two separate cables, one for each amp, each one fused for the cable.  Remember the fuse you use on your main power cable is not for the amps, it's for the cable and to keep you from burning up your vehicle.  You need a fuse large enough so that the amps running normally will not blow it, but small enough so it is below the current rating of the cable.  The fuses inside the amps will protect the amps.  And don't forget your grounds which must also be able to carry full load current.  I assume you are putting together a massive alternator system for this?  Running multiple alts, maybe?

Support the12volt.com
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
so i should run 2 2awg to each amp and then another for my highs. thats a lot of wires.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it is.  You're trying to do a big system.  Again, how are you planning to power this?
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic