the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Bigger fuse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  

.......still waiting.......

Reeseddogg is thinking "Huh, alternator??"

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2005 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
That's what I'm wondering. We install a lot of the 2400's at a 2ohm load. Usually run 4ga back to the amp, throw in an 80A fuse, and never have a problem. I mean, even running 2 of them, unless he is hammering them balls out all day long at 1 ohm, should still be good on 0ga, or even 2ga back to distribution, 4 over to the amps (what's the rating on 4ga for 3 feet?? 200A??) Park a 200A breaker at the battery (like a stock alternator is going to produce anything close to that anyways.... be lucky to get 100A out of a CS130 on a GM, this is probably an import with an 80A under the hood).
This should be good....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
i'm going to have a seperate alternator for my kinetik 2400. i also have a batcap 400 and was thinking of getting the batcap 800. so i'm going to do 0 to trunk. from there 4ga(is that big enough)to amps. plus i'm going to run a seperate 4 gauge for my 5 channel and crossover and other accy's. Fused 300a under hood and dual 150a for the directed's. please give may any advice as i'm sure i'm overlooking something. i'm running 2 directed 2400d and two pioneer 12" ts-w5000spl. i need ideas for a x-over i was looking at the audiocontrol eqt and 3xs or 4xs. the car is a 03 taurus and i'm having the subs firing into the car vented
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
also while doing the big three upgrade when i ran new wire from the alternator to the fuse box i noticed a oem 175a fuse what or should this be upgraded to.
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  
i've been trying to get a ho alternator for a while but with no luck for my car. can ne body help?
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
also how do i check for, acheive close to/0 resistance
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
just one more thing does anyone recommend a different amp.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  

Reeceddogg wrote:
also while doing the big three upgrade when i ran new wire from the alternator to the fuse box i noticed a oem 175a fuse what or should this be upgraded to.

This is probably the vehicle's main fusible link.  Do not touch it.

So I get from your jumble of one-line posts that you are planning to run two alternators?  Who is setting this up for you?  If you (or your mechanic) are skilled enough to set up multiple alternators with all the attendant voltage regulator issues, mounting brackets, new belts, new engine wiring, etc., then I don't understand why you posted the very basic question about fuse sizes.  An auto electrician capable of setting up multiple alts would know how to answer this.  Or are you doing it yourself?  If you have never done this before, I strongly recommend you get help from a professional shop as it's not as simple as just slapping it in there...

If I misunderstood something please set me straight.

Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

Reeceddogg wrote:
also how do i check for 0 resistance

Uh, with an ohmmeter.....

Support the12volt.com
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2005 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
i'm not doing it myself and a mechanic is doing it for me i'm just getting everything myself since he's doing it for free. And i have a dmm i just wanted to know the best location to check.....
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic