the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Bigger fuse

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  

To check for ground resistance, measure ohms between the amplifier ground terminal and the battery ground terminal.  I recomend disconnecting the positive battery terminal first just in case.  Ideally this reading will be less than 1 ohm, although in reality readings up to a couple of ohms can be fine.

Glad to hear you are being assisted by a mechanic.  I'd ask him or her what they want you to buy.

Support the12volt.com
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
what do you all think about two crossfire vr1000d bridged that would do 2000rms@ 2ohm(12.5v). Think it'll sound better than the directed 2400d? or maybe another amp?
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
The DEI makes a lot of power.....
As far as "sound"? A properly designed amp shouldn't "sound" like anything....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
sorry... i'm setting up a high spl system
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2005 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
maybe i'm missing something but how can i have too amps using 200a fuses each be fused at the battery with a fuse less than the total amperage of the system. wouldn't that restrict the amount of current going to the amps an thus make the fuse blow. I'm confused now since i went to a local shop, that 45 mins away, and he one solox 18 and two Colossus amps with only a 150a fuse at the battery. also he didn't change his alternator and had four batteries. a kinetic 2400(that i plan on getting myself), and optima red top and yellow top. all three were in the trunk plus he had his stock battery under the hood.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2005 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
I don't get what you're asking here.  Why tell us about some guy's system you looked at?  I didn't read anything here from anybody that told you to fuse the main power at less than the amps' fuse ratings....maybe you should re-read DYohn's posts...
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
gus1 wrote:
We install a lot of the 2400's at a 2ohm load. Usually run 4ga back to the amp, throw in an 80A fuse, and never have a problem. I mean, even running 2 of them, unless he is hammering them balls out all day long at 1 ohm, should still be good on 0ga, or even 2ga back to distribution, 4 over to the amps (what's the rating on 4ga for 3 feet?? 200A??) Park a 200A breaker at the battery (like a stock alternator is going to produce anything close to that anyways....
Gus
this is what i was refering to. but i went to a shop to try and get some more info and he told me that. I'm just trying to see who's right.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
Got money? Good, here's how you do it, 1), purchase a 200+ amp alternator, 2) get a big battery kinetik comes to mind, 3) run 2 runs on 1/0 awg both fused at 350 amps each (anl fuse), then run them to a distrobution block that has 2 1/0 awg inputs and 4 4 awg outputs, fuse each 4 awg output to 125-150 amps "midi fuse" 4) Dont forget to do the big 3 with 1/0 awg 5) Spend hours/days/weeks building your box, your spending this much money, so be shure to have the best dam box's available.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Reeceddogg 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
that's all i needed to know
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic