inforcer958 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 2:09 AM / IP Logged  

ok i have 2 power acoustik BM's 10's

• They are 4ohm DVC
  • 800 watts power handling
  • 400 Watts RMS

what i am wondering is that when i wire these subs so that they are each at 2 ohms. (i know how all that works) does the RMS of the sub change.  I am not sure if i can push 400 RMS into the sub if i for say wired it at 8 ohms, or if i wired it at 2 ohms.  i just want to be clear b4 i blow some shyt up.

dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2005 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  

The power handeling will not change regardless of the subs resistance. The only change in power will be the output of the amp based on the resistance it sees. What amp are you using?

inforcer958 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2005 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
i am using a power acousitk TS 1920-2 2 channel 1920 W AMP.   I think what i was trying to ask before is.... if u have 2 400W RMS subs DVC.  say u bridge them both to 2 ohm using paralell connections and then u [put them in series to make a 1 channel 4 ohm system ( bc my amp doesn't handle 1 ohm)  can i only push 400W RMS approx or can i push 800W and will it devide to each sub evenly. so ummm
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 23, 2005 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  

Don't let the fact that they're DVC subs cloud the issue.  What if they were SVC subs, what would your reasoning be then?

Two subs each capable of 400 watts:  400

___

Wire them series/parallel;  opposite of what you wrote above, because that is the preferred way to arrive at the total 4 ohm load you want.  The amplifier will output power into a 4 ohm bridged load and that power will be divided among the speakers.  See Woofer Wiring in the lefthand column for a diagram.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
DVC loudspeakers generally list power ratings for both coils driven.  If a DVC woofer is rated at 400 watts, that means each voice coil will actually handle 200 watts.  It is important to understand this and de-rate the speaker if you drive only one coil.  However, wiring both coils in series or in parallel will not change the total power rating.
Support the12volt.com
tcbturbosux 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  
You got great taste in sub. Gene Norvel would be proud of you. Ask who Gene is.
Uncle Gumby
inforcer958 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
who is Gene Norvel ? lol
infoaudio01 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

Don't let the fact that they're DVC subs cloud the issue.  What if they were SVC subs, what would your reasoning be then?

Two subs each capable of 400 watts:  400

___

Wire them series/parallel;  opposite of what you wrote above, because that is the preferred way to arrive at the total 4 ohm load you want.  The amplifier will output power into a 4 ohm bridged load and that power will be divided among the speakers.  See Woofer Wiring in the lefthand column for a diagram.

Stevedart, why would there be a difference when wiring series/parallel and parallel/series?  either way it will yield 4ohms with those subs.  4ohms is 4ohms is it not?  please correct me if i am wrong.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 6:02 AM / IP Logged  
The factor you need to remember is they are dual voice coil woofers.  That means you have different wiring configurations to choose.  If you wire the voice coils (and they're 4 ohms each) on one sub in parallel you get a total 2 ohms.  If you wire them in series, you get 8.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 7:05 AM / IP Logged  

infoaudio01:  look at all the wiring diagrams available, including the ones listed on this site.  You will see that if there is a choice between the two configurations, that series/parallel will be the one shown.  So why isn't this shown both ways so you can pick and choose?

Because there is a slight difference.  When you link two speakers in series, the first speaker receiving signal will have a slightly higher level of input than the second speaker which is last to get it.  At the same time, when you link the two coils of one driver in series the same applies.  What is the priority, then?

Priority:  all woofers in a multi-driver arrangement have identical input/output.  By linking coils in series on each one first and the woofers are connected in parallel,  all of the drivers will receive the same input.  Each woofer is connected at the same time (parallel);  each woofer receives the same signal amplitude (level of power).  By this you will know that although the difference may not be noticeable in most installations, there is a difference in signal flow when going through a series course than there is when going parallel, which is spontaneous.  Also, most DVC subs are tested for parameters while series-wired, although this is not always the case (parameters are used when designing enclosures).

There are times when the opposite way of wiring (parallel/series) is necessary to achieve a final load result.  In those cases you will see this arrangement listed in the wiring diagrams.  There are also other times when it is more convenient for the installer  to do it this way when adding to an existing system.  But when you are doing all the initial planning, series/parallel should be the first choice in your design.

Here are a couple of references for you to look at:

http://www.bcae1.com/srsparll.htm

http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic