the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

where to buy DB/SPL meters

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
I've used the radio shack version. It was a digital model for about $50. They also had an analog one, but I couldn't imagine using that for a short test tone, as it wouldn't record the highest splwhere to buy DB/SPL meters - Page 2 -- posted image.
I'll admit that I used it then promptly retunred it. It was great watching the numbers jump around in unison with my head lights dimming. I suppose if you are not into IASCA or competing there would be no problem using it.
hoaxs 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
i bougth one of the rat shack ones and it works great for tuiing at low volumes but if your looking to buy a 150 plus you can get a termlab senors with the all the wires and software for about 600 bucks and its termlab so you know its good
Hurry get me a steel hanger, elec tape, zip ties, a monkey and a snorgle. trust me i've ran wires with less
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
hoaxs wrote:
i bougth one of the rat shack ones and it works great for tuiing at low volumes but if your looking to buy a 150 plus you can get a termlab senors with the all the wires and software for about 600 bucks and its termlab so you know its good
For my high level testing, I use a Behringer ECM-8000 with an M-Audio USB-Pre, connected to my laptop through USB2 connections. I then run all of the information through TrueRTA - the big one - Level4 (Thanks for the suggestion/recommendation of that software, by the way, DYohn... (I think it was you...) I L-O-V-E it!). This is way more than most people want to go through, but it works REALLY well, is fast - the more computer you have, obviously the faster your response can be - and is WAY more than accurate enough for most people on this board.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
one of my buddys had the epicenter .with the DB meter in it . it worked well but that was 4 years ago/. i would see if you could get one on ebay.
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
I use TrueRTA all the time.  Also with an ECM8000, but I use the Shark preamp.  And I don't know if the original rec was me Mr. Draper, but I do recall recomending you go for level 4.  Cheers!
Support the12volt.com
Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
its called the epic-150
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
chris305 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
i got a digital from radio shake and it went up to 126DB's an di got 3 compvr kicker 15's and man wit that lil jon what you gon do song i blow it out off top . im not sure if i set it right but it said 126 and thats the highest it reads. and it hit it easy
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
we use the Term-lab....We also compete though and need meter that read over 150db.     I know audiocontrol makes a 150 and 160db in dash meter.   They are a little inaccurate compared to a comp meter...about 3 to 4 db, but will get the idea of things
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Evolution-UK 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2005 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  
This might sound silly but the TrueRta, M-audio, Ecm8000 package sounds really cheap in comparison to the likes of an audio control system. How do they compare?
Can you use this system to do SPL checks and if so what level can it go up to?
It looks like a worthwhile investment at that price.
TrueRTA : $100 £60ish
M-Audio : £120
ECM8000 : £45
£205 : Roughly 360-400 $
emergeman 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 10:20 AM / IP Logged  

I saw the review in Car Sound and Performance on the splmeter.com dBm-2. I went to their website and saw Manville Smith's comments so I figured I would try one out. For $149 it wasn't much of a gamble if it could really read 150 dB. Turns out the unit is pretty consistant and matches up within .6dB of every Term-lab I have been on. I have had it about 9 months now and love it. As far as the radio Shack units go there are lots of  websites out there that tell you which components to change out to make the units more accurate. Just go to Google and enter "spl meter".

Been there, done that, just can't remember it.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic