icon

Alpine Amp Cuts Out

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Pyromed1 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2005 at 11:36 PM / IP Logged  

I'm running a Pioneer DEH-P6700MP to an Alpine MRV-F340 amp to 4 Infinity Perfect, component speakers.  When I put the volume to a moderate level, after a couple of minutes the amp cuts out.  I still have lows from the Bazoola BT8200, just no mids and highs.  I have tried adjusting the gain down, but then there is no volume.  I'm not trying to blow anyones eardrums,  I have a Diesel truck and with the windows down I need a little more volume.  I have 4 gauge wire directly from the battery to a block.  From there I have 8 gauge to the Alpine amp and to the Bazooa.  I have a good ground from the amp also with 8 gauge.  One more note:  If I fade to ALL front or All back, the amp NEVER cuts out.  Does this seem like a power problem?

Thanks for any help.

Corey

00navi 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
Is the amp hot when it cuts out?? Check the voltage of the RCA's connections going into the amp. Could be bad RCA's, i've had bad brand new RCA's.
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
wow... sounds familiar to an install I did with alpine amps in a big dodge diesel truck... The customer wanted 4 solobaric 8's hooked up... well the final ohm load was like 3.6 ohms and it can't be below 4 ohms... so that makes me turn the bass waaay back because the customer HAD TO HAVE THOSE AMPS... and didn't want to lose any space anywhere else they had to go under the seats. He was trying to compare his set up to his buddies that had a bunch of alpine and focal in it... and I wanted to tell him sir your $200 type r 6x9's won't compete with your buddies $900 focal components...  and... your 600 watt alpine mono amp isn't enough power to push 4 8" solobarics... Does the amp read CUR when it cuts out?... if so... The ohm configuration is too low! sorry I was upset too! hope this helps!
Pyromed1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
00navi,
I have a fan cooling the amp.  It's not at all hot.  How do I check the RCA voltage?

BoominRolla,
My amp doesn't have a display.  Are you saying that this amp is not powerful enough to power these Infinity speakers? 

Thanks,
Corey
Pyromed1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry about the BOLD, my mistake.
Pyromed1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone else?
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2005 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
sounds to me like the amp is clipping due to lack of power...those components generally require about 100w rms if memory serves me correctly...and that amp is only good for about 75w rms per channel...still shouldn't cause it to cut out...unless your settings on the amp are incorrect...however wierder things have happened...try an amp with more power and see if that helps at all...or you could try running a pair of rcas and checking those first...but sounds like lack of power...another thing would be to check and make sure that you aren't trying to do too much with those speakers...make sure that your crossover is set accordingly...
1987 Huffy...spinners...two 15's custom mounted to the back
fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2005 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
well if the power supply(4awg wire) and the block and exspeacily the ground are all good. and when you fade to front or rear and it dont have a problem i would look at the ohm load like boominrolla suggested.what sounds like happening is when you fade your letting the amp work less at  the same ohm but not as much power and then with all 4 speakers in the equation its working hard(more power draw and it starts to cycle. i dont believe its a power issue in it self , meaning(lack of power). because it would destort befor a cycle ,even if it would cycle that has never happened to me any how. and if you are in question about the rca's replace them i too have had bad ones that are new. but i feel that aint the problem. one qeustion though when did you start experincing this problem, right away after install or over time. that will help to understand more. lol
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
Pyromed1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  

This problem started right after install.

Can anyone recommend an amp for these speakers.  Infinity 5 1/4" Perfects.

Infinity makes an amp that's 111w RMS X 4.

Corey

fingaz22 
Silver - Posts: 410
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2005 at 9:12 AM / IP Logged  
do you know how to check the ohms?it is a quick and simply check that is free if you have a dmm. before you go and buy another amp and that was not the problem and you experince it again. i cant tell you for sure it is the ohms because im not diagnousing it. but give it all another once over make sure all your setting are correct and please check your ohms. then you can be sure. lol
JUST ONE MORE AMP!!!
hu,alpine cva 1005/dva 5205
sound processor,symmetry(first one).
sub amp,power 1000 the terminator.(1992).
subs,spl comp dual 1 ohms.
punch 150hd on a 10" ev.
alotofhighs
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic