icon

arc amp switches?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fugit 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

my 2100cxl is on the fritz, one of the channels  gives off a horrible scratching sound like if a speaker had been blown.  I found it was the channel and when I emailed arc audio about it i got this response,

The 2100CXL can be repaired for a flat rate cost of $100.00. Have you tried to clean the switches yet? Use a tiny bit of WD-40 in the switches and work them back and forth quickly a few time. See if this doesn't fix it.

I have no idea what switches he's talking about.  There are knobs for gain and xover and a 1x/10x button and thats about it.  Is he talking about something inside the amp? 
"I'm Rick James bi***, enjoy yo' self Ah Ah Ah"
Dave Chappelle as Rick James
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

I 've heard gain knobs making noise through the speakers (scratchy sounds) while they are being adjusted. However wd-40 ain't gonna do much. If i were you, I 'd just send it in before any thing else happens. That's a nice amp you have.

fugit 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
In another email he reffered to the switches as "sliding switches".  Still stumped here.  I'll probably send it in, but if it's something simple I'd like to keep my 100$ plus shipping both ways.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 21, 2005 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Contact cleaner.  I'm surprised the tech suggested WD-40, which is petroleum based.  Contact cleaner is alcohol based and immediately evaporates.  By "switches", he probably means any switch that you slide, rotate, or push which causes a contact or change in contact.  Back in the day we used to use this stuff to clean the rotary channel knobs on TVs...turn the knob back and forth while spraying the cleaner on it.  The act of the contacting with cleaner on the switch causes it to clean itself.  And dust/dirt accumuation is a major cause of a scratching sound.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
fugit 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2005 at 9:18 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the replies.  Yesterday I started checking out the setup and when I was changing a few things my OTHER arc amp started doing the same thing.  I set it up to replace the one I had and now I think it may be the electronic crossover I have in between everything.  The ground on it wasn't on very good for some reason so I pulled it off and listened and the scratchy ugly sound was bad.  when I recconected it, it was only on the right side again.  I switched the rca's to see if it was one of them, but I'm pretty sure it's the xover.  It's pretty dusty too, (i live in the desert) so I'll try the contact cleaner thing.  Thanks again.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic