icon

upholstering my door panels

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2005 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  
How's everybody doing today? I am completely frustrated with upholstering my door panels now. I bought the spray adhesive from select products and non-backed suede from an online dealer. I was able to wrap my rear door panels with no problem what so ever (took a little bit of work but I did it); now I am stuck trying to wrap the front door panels. I have f*ed up a lot of times and am just wasting fabric it seems. I can't seem to get the part where the arm rest/handle bulges out. Is there an easy way to work this stuff that I ain't trying?
djrcustom 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
If its not right along an edge I have found High-temp hot glue to work for holding it down while the spray glue cures. Make sure to flatten the hot glue our you'll get a ugly bump. Hope that helps upholstering my door panels -- posted image.
DukeDuke 
Silver - Posts: 206
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Have you tried heat activated glue? comes in a can, and you can heat up the area and hold it while it dries before you move on, you spray it on both sides and neither get tackey without the heat
Duke Duke
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, it's on an edge... right where the controls for the PW and PL are located. I have the high heat spray adhesive; I just can't seem to get the fabric to contour right I guess you could say. It keeps coming up right near the slope of the control to door panel. I guess you could just say I am looking more for technique for this particuliar project. Thanks guys for the input though.
footbaldd 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
Im also having a similar problem on some inserts in my car, but it is a sharp concave, and the vinyl keeps separating from the backing. Any tips would be appreciated.
mecpatm 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
One thing I have found that greatly helps me when I am covering something that has large dips or steep slopes is stretching the material a decent amount first. Most materials can stretch enough to get any wrinkles out if you stretch it too far for the shape your trying to get.
Thomas
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2005 at 3:55 AM / IP Logged  
try starting in the middle of where you are having the problem and working your way out in each direction. Suede isn't like vinyl at all. It will conform, but you have to beat it to the punch as far as before your glue sets. You don't need heat activated glue. A can of 3m 80 works the best as far as suede goes. better than the 77 I think. You may not get it all around the armrest in one piece either if its really awkward. you might need to grab a needle and thread and do the top of the armrest with some double stitches connecting the bottom piece forming a hood the willwrap it self when done. Good luck man
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
suicidecustom 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2005 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
try getting your hands on a glue called "helmaprene", its green, stinks and you have to use an air gun to spray it, it works the best though.
mi_what 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2005 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet, thanks guys for the advice. I'll have to try that idea of starting in the center upholstering my door panels -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic