icon

250watt to rms

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
h@z3 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2005 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  

i just bought a pair of 6"x9"s and they are 250watt i was just wondering how i can figure out the output power in rms if you need to know more about them to work it out just ask and ill get back to u with the details thanx alot

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

What kind and model speakers are they?

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
I'm guessing that your speakers have a peak rating of 250 watts a piece, right?  And you'd like to know the rms rating?  The best thing would be to contact the manufacturer, but generally speaking, a speaker's rms rating is usually about half it's peak power rating.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
h@z3 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2005 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
Just a cheap set of rampage 6"x9" 3 ways there 250watt and the model is RMP6932
h@z3 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2005 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
kool thanks heaps geepherder so its usualy just half of the peak power?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2005 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
Rampage (Audiovox) like a number of other low-end brands lists very misleading "ratings."  That "250 watts" means the PAIR together will supposedly handle a total of 250 watts PEAK (or for about 1/2 second) or 125 watts PEAK per speaker.  The actual power rating per speaker is probably much closer to 25 watts.  Do not expect much from those, or for them to last very long.
Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Not in this case, unfortunately.  Power handling numbers are whatever the maker decides will sell best in that particular market...and the cheapo market uses BIG numbers that mean virtually nothing.  If YOU classify them as cheap, and if they actually ARE cheap, then they're CHEAP and won't be capable of producing 125 watts of clean sound.  Figure on 40 or 50 maybe and be done with it.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
h@z3 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2005 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
ok then thanx heaps guys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic