icon

Dimming Headlights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lostinthewoods 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 3:20 PM / IP Logged  
I have a '98 Subaru Legacy Outback. I am having a bit of headlight dimming when my base pounds. My system is a 10" Infinity Kappa Perfect DVQ in a 1 cu ft sealed box powered by a profile amp w/ 600watts RMS though it is only turned up about 75% when tested. Other than that i have a Alpine head unit and Infinity Kappa 6.5" components. I also have a Rockford Cap in the trunk for the sub to stiffen the system. I was wondering what I could do to get the headlights to stop dimming.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Alternator, ditch the cap.
lostinthewoods 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Is it just a case of a alternator that needs to be replaced, or do i have to get a larger one. would an 85 amp be sufficient and is the cap causing part of the problem.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

It seems your alternator is not enough. The cap can add to this. The cap is a storage device and when it empties (ususlly after the first bass note) the alternator must provide power for that now power hungry device. Once you upgrade to a larger alternator, you may include the cap.

There are numerous past topics that go into great detail about this subject so if you have some time and want to learn about this, I would suggest doing a search here, about your question. Try using "lights dimming" or "alternator" or "caps" as keywords.

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2005 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Your alt should be sufficent size for the wattage your running. Get rid of the cap, that may help. If not try getting a new alt. you wont need a huge one for only 600W, a new 85 amp should suffice.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

What is the overall condition of your battery, cables, and conectors? Thats where I would start, cheaper and easier than an alt. Have the damn battery load tested. Also check the output of the alt. at idle and with the RPM's up. 13.6/14.4 volts with no fluctuations (drops or spikes) even the smallest amout of corrosion can hamper the performace of a stock charging system. If the battery has marginal load handling, it FOR SURE is giving you a problem while bumpin the system. Then while doing that, you're slowly killing your alternator....it wil do its best to keep up, till the very end!

One more thing.....stock light bulbs in the headlights?

lostinthewoods 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
yeah, stock bulbs in the headlights. I had headlight dimming before i got the cap too. I haven't checked the condition of the battery, i think that is going to be my first step from the advice given above. So what is being said here is that at the simplest level, the battery is failing and overloading the alt to some degree?
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

You just eliminated the cap in your system.  If it still dims with the cap, then just ditch it.  Your alternator might be wearing out too.

That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  

If you can, measure the current coming out of the alternator.. also measure the voltage at the alternator and the battery. If your connections are ok, I'd say the alternator isn't keeping up with demand. If the cap isn't shorted internally I don't believe it's adding to any problems you might have.

Jim

sdlimited 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

I would place in a optima battery and you will possibly be able to ditch that cap. You will need a yellow cap optima battery.

Stylindetail@hotmail.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic