icon

voltage drop

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  
at the battery my voltage is 14.3 running at idle but measured at the amps in my trunk it only 13.9 what could be the cause for this drop
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
resistance
v = I*R, greater the current draw or resistance, greater the voltage drop
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2005 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
What size power cable is running from your battery to your amps?
Support the12volt.com
bajaclawz71 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 12:41 AM / IP Logged  
Could be wire size or a poor ground.
tronmonster 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
Poor ground will not cause a voltage drop to appear like this. It has to be wire size or a connection on the hot side.
In fact, the poorer the ground connection, the higher (up to the source voltage) the voltage reading will be at the point where power is connected to a device.
Don't wanna hear your "boom-boom," just wanna hear my "weeee-yaaah-deedle-dee."
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Not if he's measuring voltage across the pos/neg amp terminals.  A poor ground would drop some of that voltage.  That's not that bad, though- 3 tenths of a volt drop.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
tronmonster wrote:
Poor ground will not cause a voltage drop to appear like this. It has to be wire size or a connection on the hot side.
If he is reading AT THE AMP TERMINALS, yes, there could be a volatage drop exhibited like this.
tronmonster wrote:
In fact, the poorer the ground connection, the higher (up to the source voltage) the voltage reading will be at the point where power is connected to a device.
Huh? Wha...? Either I don't understand exactly what it is that you are saying, or you are saying something that is completely false. Please elaborate on this statement.
And finally, I agree that .4v drop is nothing to be concerned about, ESPECIALLY if that drop is with the system running WFO. At idle, .4v could be a sign of something quite wrong in your system.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  

I thought that was 14.2.  Hah.  Some math whiz I am.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 30, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
i'm currently running two gauge to the distribution block where i took the measurement , split to six 8 gauges four go to my rockford 800aii, the other two to accy's. measurements: at idle with the amps on but the sound on mute.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic