icon

Itching

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Panty hose.  Just get some from Wal-Mart or your moms drawer and rub it across the affected area.  Always works for me.  I was a little embarresesed to suggest panty hose on this forum, but after the Victoria Secret powder suggestion I think it will be appropriate. 
davedyer79
318ti 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
weird, i must be part machine or somthing, but i have never had a problem with itching.  Any type of itching for that matter, but especially with fiberglass.   I wear shorts and a t-shirt to sand in, but i do wear a face mask.  never had any itches though. 
liquidx9 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
If you're already itching you want to take a COLD shower. The cold water closes up the pores which doesn't allow any more FB dust to enter. I always wea certain clothes when I sand, along with a respirator. And I ALWAYS take an ice cold shower immediately after I take the clothes off. This is why I hate FBing in the Winter. I usually try to have 2 sets of clothes available so I can wash on set after a legnthy sanding session. If I'm just laying glass up I never get itchy if I have my long sleaves on and some Nitrile gloves. Sometimes I wear a long lab coat if I'm too lazy to change clothes for a short session. But if you're doing alot of glassing just get used to a certain amount of itch creeping up from time to time.
///Alpine/MB Quart/Image Dynamics/Soundstream/Stinger
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2005 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
OK ya i was just reading this thread and a hot shower is defintly a BAD idea. You have no idea how much that will stink and irritate if the glass is already making you itch. Wash affected areas with cold water, a deep cleaning soap (like even some kind of acne wash or something) and gently try to brush fibers out with a coth or something similar.
DO NOT TAKE A HOT SHOWER! if there is no itching than this is ok but you will itch ten times worse if you take a hot shower.
little late to be posting but i hope this helps.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  
Alright, now, I know different strokes for different folks and all but:
liquidx9 wrote:
If you're already itching you want to take a COLD shower. The cold water closes up the pores which doesn't allow any more FB dust to enter.
This doesn't make any sense.
How is fiberglass dust gonna get on your body and in your pores when your in the shower? Hopefully, you're not working with fiberglass in your shower already. When you step into the shower, the water will rinse your body clean of any remaining fiberglass. The hot water will open the pores and allow the dust/fiberglass to exit your body (then the previous sentence comes into back effect).
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
by the way that stink is supposed to say sting in that other post i made. i dont think fiberglass stinks.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
j68rh 
Copper - Posts: 147
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 6:48 AM / IP Logged  
When I am sanding fiberglass I have a pair of old coveralls I put on with the sleeves down.  But if for some reason I get glass on me a cold shower and that poof thing works wonders.
suicidecustom 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2005 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

mi_what wrote:
Alright, now, I know different strokes for different folks and all but:
liquidx9 wrote:
If you're already itching you want to take a COLD shower. The cold water closes up the pores which doesn't allow any more FB dust to enter.
This doesn't make any sense.
How is fiberglass dust gonna get on your body and in your pores when your in the shower? Hopefully, you're not working with fiberglass in your shower already. When you step into the shower, the water will rinse your body clean of any remaining fiberglass. The hot water will open the pores and allow the dust/fiberglass to exit your body (then the previous sentence comes into back effect).

if you have fg dust on your skin then it gets into your pores and thats what causes the itching. taking a hot shower opens the pores and forces more of the dust into your pores whereas a cold shower closes your pores and doesnt allow anymore dust in!.    its actually the powder that is used to hold the fiberglass strands together that makes you itch

mi_what 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  
I understand the point you are trying to convey; and this is a classic example of different things working for different people. However, what I am saying is that:
You just get done sanding glass down, you decide to head inside to clean up to get some chow, hop in the shower. Now at this point all of the dust is either on you or the floor from brushing it off, as soon as you get into the shower, ALL of the fiberglass dust is going to wash off of you (in the same direction that the water is going...down) now the only thing that MIGHT itch is your feet. Using hot water will open your pores and allow you to scrub the remaining out.
Now, this works like like magic for me...then again my body has been put through hell and it's possible that I built up an immunity to this stuff. I was just putting my opinion for this poor fellow
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
i agree with mi_what on this, but each to his/her own. If your gonna use the hot and cold theory with opening and closing the pores then what about this....if u use cold water how is it gonna rinse the dust already in your pores as the pores will shrink or close and the dust in the skin can't be washed away. Your taking a shower...the water is constantly pouring over u replacing old water with new...hot water opens the pores..fresh water continuously flows over the skin washing away the dust, if the pores are open the dust will be washed off that much easier, unless your shower recycles the water u washed yourself with your not gonna get any more dust in the pores with the hot shower. Just my $.02.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic