the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Sony Copy Protected CDs - Too Far

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 11:16 AM / IP Logged  

FWI:  The Register has also been covering this:  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/11/01/sony_rootkit_drm/

Don't try to remove the files yourself.  You may kill your ability to use your optical drive.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
PISSED does not begin to describe my state of mind right now! Sony Copy Protected CDs - Too Far - Page 2 -- posted image. I always KNEW Sony was too big for their britches, but GEEZ! BS, man... BS!
I probably could have expressed myself better without the profanities, but here is the message I left for them:
It's called LiNUX, you *******. Keep your piece of **** Windows anti-hacking bull**** application stored safely in your *****! I will NOT continue to buy your CD's, and your application will not inconvenience me one bit, AND the rest of the world, really bent on sharing (or "stealing", as you so conveniently describe it) "your" music will be forced into alternate operating systems. You are only killing yourselves, and helping take Micro$oft with you... Actually, keep right on doing what you are doing - those bastards need a good *** reaming as well!
Yeah, Dave's pissed about it too, but as my message above states, not terribly inconvenienced by it. LiNUX LOVES Windows-based anti-ANYTHING Sony Copy Protected CDs - Too Far - Page 2 -- posted image.
Oh, and being not afraid of the Sony juggernaut, I gave them my REAL e-mail address as well!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
And if that pisses you off, how about this: the RIAA has created a new time-coding scheme for MP3 files that will make them expire after 90 days and self-delete off hard drives and memory sticks.  The same technology will be applied to the new HD-DVDs and to Tivo-type digital recordings of video content.  There is pending legislation in congress to make this sort of ant-time-shifting and anti-piracy technology 100% legal, and the FCC is considering making it mandatory for all digital broadcasts.  Yippie.
Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  

No, I'm not inconvenienced at all by it either - but I hate the slippery slope that is created if we (the consuming public) allows this.  We are sending the message that it is O.K. to take away rights we previously had in the privacy of our homes regarding products we paid for.

With non-copy protected CD's we basically have the capability to do whatever we want in the privacy of our own homes with products we buy.  This copy-protection takes this capability away from us.

At this point, I say to Sony, go after the people sharing thousands of files they didn't pay for, but leave what I do with my private property in my own home alone!

This reminds me of what Circuit City tried with limited/pay-per-view DVDs a few years ago, but is even worse; they drastically reduced the price of those DVDs.  Sony is charging the same price for a lesser product. 

Sigh.  I could go on and on, but I won't.  :)

TruckSystem 
Copper - Posts: 185
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Sony is wonderful at alienating their customers. They did it with cheap car audio, they did it with their online games, and now they are doing it with their music. I stopping buying Sony products a few years ago, this just solidifies my position.
2003 Chevrolet Silverado Standard Cab ~ Alpine CDA-9851
Diamond Audio D3600.1 ~ 2x Diamond Audio TM310D4
Diamond Audio D3400.4 ~ Diamond Audio Hex S600s
AstroStart RS5204 Remote Start/Alarm
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
I'm canceling my family trip to Disney World.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
kfr01 
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
Because Disney adopted the Blu-ray format?
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Wow. What bulls**t!! It just goes to show that this country is being run by big business. If the american public let Sony get away with this, who knows whats next. The way things are going, between big business and the goverment, it wont be very long before the american people have no privacy at all, even in our own homes. Not that we have much now anyways.
skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2005 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

Just remember what ever copywrite protection is out there, or will be out there in the future.. there will always be people who will be able to bypass it with ease

I wouldnt let this get to you all so much, its going to be exactlly like limited/pay-per-view DVDs , the'll fade away after a few years.
Just  a random thought
--Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2005 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
skoldspuppy wrote:
Just remember what ever copywrite protection is out there, or will be out there in the future.. there will always be people who will be able to bypass it with ease
I wouldnt let this get to you all so much, its going to be exactlly like limited/pay-per-view DVDs , the'll fade away after a few years.
I dunno man I think the trend.. as so many ppl here seem to see as well.. toward total ... say... 'remote' ownership. Like... the idea being to steadily move toward a system of content distribution.... from music to video games to freakin spreadsheet software.... where all the content is *served* to you... for a monthly fee to the content owner.
Its the same thing as pharmaceutical companies having no vested interest in actually *curing* disease. The money stops. The idea is you "live with it" .... lifetime payments.
The really scary thing with companies as massive as Sony is that not only does the company produce the media they are trying to protect, the they are indeed an industry leader in the very industry that makes the hardware that plays the media in the first place! This places the company in a fairly unique position (outside of Mitsubishi I can't think of another company with so many tentacles) to seriously protect and control content... forget not how many other companies out there have a vested interest and are pushing other, if perhaps less scary standards of DRM... the whole 'trusted computer' thing coming out of Microsoft a few years ago gave me nightmares.
I don't think these trends are going to fade like DivX... which... in all reality, was a really half-baked idea anyway in the coming face of broadband delivery... Circuit City really isn't run very well... trust me... I have 100 friends that worked in the home office not across the street from my apartment. The place is run by half-blind monkeys I swear.
....eh... honestly? Sony is run by smart, smart capitalists.
"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic