icon

Push Button Starter - S-10

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steiny83 
Copper - Posts: 50
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
I would like to install a push button starter in my '98 S-10 (as well as a switch for the ignition and a switch for the accessories). I plan to completely remove the original ignition switch and smooth the steering column. However, I have a few problems...
1.)My truck has a Passlock II system and I need a way to permanently bypass this system. The 555L would work, but I'm afraid it would lose the resistance code should I ever disconnect the battery...? Can I somehow use a multimeter to test the resistance then install a permanent resistor?
2.)Will I need to install diodes across the coils of any or all of my relays?? I'm still don't completely understand the use of diodes across coils...
Thanks for any help!
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
yes you can use a resistor to permanantly bypass the pk2, however if the resistor ever fails your also S.O.L. , so if you want you can use a relay with a resistor and hook it up that way after you measure the resistance with a DMM. you can do this by finding the yellow,white (sometimes BLACK/ white),and black wires (very thin gauge) coming off of the lock cylinder. Start the vehicle, cut the yellow, measure resistance from the KEY SIDE of the cut yellow wire to the black wire ( you should strip this wire back prior to cutting the yellow). Then 87a of the relay goes to the KEY SIDE of the cut yellow wire, 30 goes to the other side of the cut yellow wire, 87 goes to the resistor in line with the black PK2 wire. then you just need to energize the coil of the relay while cranking, so you could hook up pin 85 to ground, and 86 to the starter wire for example.
Mike Battaglia
Specialized Car Audio
Bensenville IL 60106
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for your help, Mike! Now, will I need to use diodes across my relay coils?
mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
no, you will just need 3 relays (all fused properly) to provide power to the ignition 1, ignition 2, and acc. wire that will all energize with a latched switch.
then you will need another relay to power up the starter wire with a push button (momentary) switch
Mike Battaglia
Specialized Car Audio
Bensenville IL 60106
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
he will need 4 relays for htose wires.. there are 2 igns and 2 accs.. theres a brown wire that controlls the radio and wipers... he might want that stuff...
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2005 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Mike & Melting!
infinkc 
Copper - Posts: 438
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2005 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
if you were planning on taking out the ignition swith, you can relocate it somewhere in the dash and leave the key in, and forget the whole bypass module or resistor and never run into a failure.
There are 10 types of people in the world, ones that understand binary and ones that dont.
steiny83 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2005 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
not a bad idea, infinkc...thanks!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic