icon

professional install or not?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeepcj92 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2002 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

I use side by side taps.  They are similar to the T taps... mabye thats what were all talking about any how.  When I install with the taps I set them up and crimp.. then tug wires to make sure od a good connectiong, then tape the two wires together, and the eitire connector.  the major reson I like useing them is for the ease of removal and least amount of impact on the factory wireing.  Generally what I have seen when these fail is somone who didn't use the right tap for the right guage of wire.  I agree that soldering is the best quality connection, but when properly done I have confidence in the taps.  I've had 4 installs set up with taps for over a year and had no problems.  But I just do installs for friends and family... I could also see where if I had a businesss and was doing multiple installs a week were there would be a large cost savings with solder and tape, vs the taps. 

just my $.02

-Jeff

Horkus 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  
Quote: Originally posted by TTopStang on December?4,?002

Horkus, what are these gel tubes officially called? I was curious as to what they look like and how effective they work. Maybe I'll pick up a few to try them out.

I normally just do audio installs for hobby and friends. In which case I use t taps with a drop of dielectric grease inside the crimp connectors. The grease keeps moisture out and helps the connection. I use t taps so that way I can revert back to the OEM install by simply removing the connectors from the t tap (does that make sense?). I do this for audio  because we're always upgrading so it's a matter of pulling apart a connector and plugging in a new one; 4 seconds and your done. If it’s going to sit a while, I’ll also wrap with e-tape. That’s my reasoning and I know some people are cringing in their seats reading this but this is why we have opinions and we all use what works for us. By the way, I’m only reading in the Security forums trying to decide which alarm to get and whether to install it myself. So don’t mind me.

Ttopstang, thanks for shareing your experiences.

THose gel tubesare called soldering sleeves. I used then in Aircraft navigations connections most of the time, it actually will work out perfect for mobile radio installation and alrms especially when dealing with splices and stuff like that!

go to this site and order it there!

http://www.radialljerrik.com/solderingsleeves3.htm

SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
Dean, couldnt' have said it better myself..  Same situation here as you have..
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
webguy 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
I'm just hiding out and watching............
Clean tools = Clean work!
Horkus 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  

for your shop installers, how many ppl work on 1 car for each installation?

I am talking about like pro job like install an alarm  that you can't find the alarm by looking underneath the dash!, how long does it take?

I can smoke your wires for free!!!
webguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

Typically. usually only one person needs to do the alarm, but it is nice to have someone mount the siren and run the wires inside for you, while your buried under the dash. The average install w/door locks and trunk pop will take 2-3 hours for a really clean job, between interruptions, answering the phone, talking to customers, or having someone asking you questions all the while you're trying to work.

Concealing an alarm to that extreme is not always practical, especially if there is the need to troubleshoot it, or upgrade to more accessories. If you are talking about hiding the brain away from unauthorized prying eyes, well, if they get that far into your vehicle, your probably gonna loose it and/or your stuff anyhow.

I probably shouldn't be telling this, but - - With 90% of the alarms on the market today, to defeat them, all you need to do is get inside the car, locate the valet/disarm switch, stick a jumper wire (paper clip works good) in the fuse panel from a constant hot fuse to an ignition fuse, powering the ignition circuit, then press (or flip) the valet/disarm switch.

How long would that take? Anyone paranoid now............

LESSON: Don't make the valet/disarm switch easy to find.............

Horkus 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  

So inorder to make a clean neat tidy alarm install, do you guys actually cut every wire to make it fit perfect to route the alrm wires neatly?

Becasue I found it very diffiicult to keep the wire bundle neat!!

webguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Yep! But it takes practice and it comes after doing enough of them. You get used to a certain procedure and it gets to be an automatic thing. Prewiring your alarm wiring loom and sensors on the bench helps a lot too. Then you can just get in the car, mount everything first and run your wires to the area where your brain will be, with a few inches of slack and make all your connections at once, instead of connecting each piece as you install it.  The essence of speed is to cut down on the number of times you have to keep picking up your crimpers.....Plan ahead.
Horkus 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

So webguy how many yrs have you been in this 12v industry for?

Are you a shop owner or an employee in a car audio shop?

webguy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2002 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

I was inducted in 1982. Worked in several shops around Orange County, CA. Been out of the business for a couple of years now, designing and being a web master for a couple of sites. But I have been thinkoing about coming back, not as an installer (the eyes and the back won't allow it) but probably as a rep or something of that nature. Not sure yet. But, that was how I found this site a few days ago when I decided to see what was up on the Internet. Now, it seems like I got stuck in this forum and can't get out (Twilight Zone theme playing in the background, sweat running down his brow, smoke coming from the keyboard....)

If you want a bit of history go check out my post at: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=6589&PagePosition=2#thread and where I signed the Guestbook. Might make for some interesting reading for anyone in the So Cal area.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic