icon

Eclipse or Infinity

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
I am debating between a 2 woofer or 1 woofer system.  If i go with 2 subs they will be Infinity Perfect 12 DVQs.  If I go for 1 sub it will be an Eclipse SW9122.  No matter what configuration I go with, the sub/subs will be powered by a Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 amp for now.  The amp puts out 600Wx1 for a 1-4 ohm load.  Oh yea and I forgot to mention,  I want SQ.  Which setup would you go for?
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
i would go with 2 infinity's. That way you will have a louder bass at a lower volume. Low volumes have the best SQ and with just one sub you would have to turn it up and risk some distortion to get the same volume.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box
assault crew 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Eclipse is much better
Still configing my setup
arrow12 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 1:11 PM / IP Logged  
I am not really too interested in it being really loud.  I just want it to hit every note and sound good.  If it's loud that's a plus, but not the most important thing.
kirktcashalini 
Silver - Posts: 492
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
Infinity is excelent SQ, i am doing 2 infinity subs this winter. SPL is only fun for so long, but quality is good forever.
99 Blazer LT.   Yellow Top. Big 3. Infinity Kappa Speakers All Around. Jensen CD/DVD flip out. 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect 12DVQs powered by a Alpine PDX600.1 (in one custom box, building a FG box)
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 3:51 PM / IP Logged  
I would drop the single 12" titanium and instead go to two 12" aluminums from Eclipse. I say this as I know it to be a top notch performer based on years and years of happy customers with this exact set-up. As a byproduct of using these subs, if tasked, it will play more than loud for most people as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
arrow12 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

But do 2 12" Eclipse Aluminums sound as good as 2 Infinity Perfect 12DVQs?

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 4:55 PM / IP Logged  
Easily and in my opinion, better.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
arrow12 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Anyone else second that opinion or think other?  It's not that I don't trust you forbidden, I just want to get other opinions.  Thanks for the help so far.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
Go with the aluminum setup... Not that I don't LOVE the SW9122, but 600 watts WON'T be enough... this I promise you. I have the Eclipse DA7232 running mine, and it is a good match - that's 2kW, RMS, BTW...
Rob is right though. My opinion is that the Eclipse is a far better sounding woofer than the Infinity. The Infinitys are no slouch, but the Eclipse aluminums are just better sounding for my money.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic