icon

what gauge wiring kit for subs & speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
linkinpark1443 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
I'm getting 4 Alpine SPS-170A installed and I am going to put an amp on them. Any preference/opinion on what amp to use (around $100-$150) and what gauge wiring kit i'll need to wire it. Also, what guage should i use on 2 10'  Alpine SWR-1042D 4ohm DVC... and should I upgrade my HU from the Alpine CDE-9843 to a different one with more outputs? thanks
oxygen65 
Silver - Posts: 252
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2005 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
Ok so you are going to buy you 4 alpine speakers that are rated at 200 watts max and 55 rms, what you need to do to run them off an amp is to get a 4 chanell amp that is not going to overpower those speakers as far as rms goes, a good 200 watt rms amp will do just fine, but for that you are going to need no more than a 8 guage wire to run that amp. for the 2 10's that you are gonna be putin in you need to get a 4 gauge wire that will be fine. and last but not least, your cd player, is no good as far as running 2 amps, that perticular cd player only has one set of pre-outs and those are for subs, you could use jsut the one set of pre-out to run the amp for the doors and the subs but you really should get a diffrent cd player and make sure that it has at least 2 sets of pre-out if not 3.
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2005 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

you need a 8 gauge wire for the amp to run your doors and a good 4 chanell amp with no more than 200 watts rms

you need a 4 gauge wire for your subs

and as far as your HU goes you really should get a diffrent one with more preaouts but it is not nessesary if you dont want to spend the money, but the 1 set of pre-outs you do have is a sub pre-out

linkinpark1443 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
but if i run my speakers @ 200W, wouldn't that give them more of a chance of blowing rather than putting them at like 150W-170W?
oxygen65 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  

yes you would have more of a chance of blowing them if you put to muhc power in them but 4x55=220 and you dont have to turn the amp up all the way, i was just saying you can get a 200 watt amp, but if it makes you sleep at night knowing that you have a 175 watt amp to ur speakers and that if you turn it up that it is not going to blow then go for it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic