icon

Newbie and I need suggestions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robisc 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2005 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
I am new to this forum and am updating my new Ford Escape, it has been about 10 years since I’ve done anything car audio related so everything is new to me again. I want to get opinions and ideas on what are my best options and tell you what I have picked out as of now, a couple things to keep in mind are that I am not trying to win a show and I don’t want a lot of “boom” as in hip hop. My listening is mostly rock and I simply want it loud and clear. With that said here is what I plan on. I will be installing a Jensen VM9510 HU, Clarion EQS560 EQ, and my speakers are in the front and back doors so I have as options for 6x8 speakers a couple: Kicker KS68 or Pioneer TS-A6870R both of these seem to get good reviews but I haven’t heard either, any suggestions as to others and what size and type amp to push them. Finally a sub, right now I am pretty happy with a single 10” cheap Pioneer sub in my other truck but I want more in here, but I don’t want a huge box or to take up a lot of room, so what else should I go with as for a sub? Also what about the Amp? As for amp options would I be better off with say a 5 channel amp as opposed to two separate amps, as space is also a premium and I want to hide everything I can, but price may put that out of reach. I will be using Dynamat or similar in the doors. Any ideas, suggestions and help are appreciated.
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2005 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
For subs I recommend taking a look at  kicker solo barics. They can use a small box and are great for saving space. There are so many choices for amps out there I guess it just depends on your budget.
j_darling2007 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2005 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
If you don't want a lot of boom I wouldn't recomend a Kicker L7 as they are more geared toward SPL instead of SQ.  From what I understand you are wanting more of a SQ setup.  If I were you, I would take a look at the Infinity line (Preferably Kappa's or Perfect's).  I have the Infinity Reference and I love them.  They take 1.25 cubic feet per sub which would probably suit your needs as far as size goes.
There are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  

Stop the Bus, you need to get off of it and onto the proper one. You are headed to a sonic disaster!

Ignore the need of an equalizer and for Pete's sake leave the Jensen in the store where it belongs. A good tonally balanced system starts with a good cd player like a Eclipse. You have no need to higher than the CD5435, more than likely the CD5425 will be more than enough for you. Your factory speaker size is indeed a 6x8" and their are many to consider. Interested in good sound means that you should consider speakers like Focal, MB Quart (as long as they are the German made speakers), Eclipse, Morel, Boston Acoustics. A good 5 channel amp is the best approach for you, Audison makes a great small chassis 5 channel in the LRX5.600, Eclipse makes my favorite 5 channel, the now or soon to be discontinued PA5532. A single 10" or 12" dvc 4 ohm sub in a small sealed box is going to be more than enough output for you to round out the system. Need more info, ask more questions.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
honomichl 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2005 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

ForBidden is right on the cd player i have a Eclipse CD 5423 and i love it . Have it hooked up to a LA amp 300.4( Upgrading to kicker) hooked up to Kicker 6 1/2 and can turn it all the way up on any song i have heard. With no distorting. The Stereo before had a Pioneer cd player hooked up through Alpine EQ. Eclipse sounds way better. Jello audio is good.

Kicker L7 have won SQ comps. goin againest Jl audio w7. but with the kicker L7 that sub i would go with a small sealed box

True the Kicker L7 is geared for Spl but put in a the right box can beat w7 in sq

you can't be ahead of the curb if you aren't LIVIN LOUD
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2005 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
Yea if the W7 was in a crappy box.  That is even a stretch at that.  A W7 will blow a L7 out of the water in SQ.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
Ocuriel 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
I agree w/ forbidden - don't touch jensen anything & stay away from kicker subs, especially for rock music. Kappa perfect sub sounds perfect for you. You can find them on e-bay for $110 shipped. eclipse makes nice stuff too. Memphis 5 channel amp with the 1,100 watt @ 1 ohm channel is also a nice 5 channel amp. This amp goes for roughly $600.00 bucks.
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2005 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

i agree...change the cd player...like an ad i read once said " you can run 10000 watts of music through crap, and all your going to get is crap"  start at the cd player and work back. as for the pioneer 6x8"...i used to work at a shop that delt with pioneer, go find something better, i found them to have a "hollow" sound and they wern't very solid built. however, i could suggest the pionner truck subs they have since you said your were happy with your 10"..there a very shallow mount sub that will take alot less space then a regular sub, blaupunkt also makes them (havn't heard those yet though, any commencts anyone?) 

Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
audiobhan101 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
Want a space saving sub go with a boston G2. they only require a half a foot of air space. so you can make a pretty tight box even though the g2's are a little deep.
as for speakers im not so sure. I have Kickers in my caddilac and audiobahn in my RX7. (dont mock the flames) so i cant say i have alot of expertise in speakers (or alot of other things but we wont discuss how much i dont know)
hope this helps in some way.
84 Mazda Rx7 GS
4 15" Audiobahn High Excursion
1 2500W Orion Amp
Custom Box

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic