icon

bracing and damping properly

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
youngone 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2005 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys and gales i have some good pics of my latest box to post to help the people how dont understand this to steps in the box building and tuning process.
this first two pics are of the fineshed box with the bracing in it
bracing and damping properly -- posted image.
these next two are of the pading i put in it. it is polyfill and it dose a good job.
now my question is do aany of you expirensed instalers and specilist box builders thik of the job and is there enything i did rong or is in need of improving. eny opinion would be apriciated alot. bracing and damping properly -- posted image.
Aaron
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
On the12volt you give some info and you get in
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2005 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
yep i use lickuid nails to seal and stick it all together and the to side flat panals are made of solid birch. and the top panal that you said would do good is actuily the port slot inlite channal it sounds grate thanks. makes me fell good to have people say i did a good job. it is made out of hdp it is really heave but that dosent mater it is for a my house. it sounds exceptionaly good.
Aaron bracing and damping properly -- posted image.
Want to know some good equipment- JL,Adire Audio,Mcintosh,Brax,Helix,Eclipse,JBL,RE,Dimoand Audio,Zapco, pritty much anything DYhon,Forbidden recommend
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
one thing you did not explain the tunniing process! like stated in the beginning. bracing and damping properly -- posted image.not bad for 17 years of age tho.   just one thing that needs to be improved. your spelling sometimes i dont understand what you write but im getting the hang of it.bracing and damping properly -- posted image.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 1:11 AM / IP Logged  
That's a good pictorial, youngone.  It shows that bracing can be done in a variety of ways using scrap lumber left over or lying around the shop.  It's one of those rare things in audio systems that doesn't have to follow strict rules.  So, it may help some forum readers who are building a box to get some bracing into it when they otherwise might have avoided it because they weren't sure if there were MORE rules to follow.  Good idea to post.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 2:07 AM / IP Logged  

It looks great and the bracing looks very sturdy. sprahl85 how did that dymat/mdf box sound?? what sorta sub were u using.  if its any good i mite try it on my mates car wen we make up his box.

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 19, 2005 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
Sweet as, we r doing a Holden Barina and we are putting multiple subs in a raised fake floor (about 200mm above standar factory floor height so we can flush mount) and making the floor MDF and the bottom that sits on the metal/tyre well will be Fibreglassed, cuz its a hatch back sapce is scarse so the floor is a good option :) I think the braces youngone used are quite good.  Im studying engineering and work in a harware store so im quite interested in how much pressure that box could actually withstand.  What sorta sub are you using in that box youngone? Should prove to give some kick ass bassfor you
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
im sorry about the spelling i have a learning disability and it has bine hard for me to learn to read and writh troughtout my life im trying my best. i have an IEP in school gust so i can get stuff done. i have truble spelling but i can read gust fine. im not slow or enything i gust have truble with this stuff im realy sorry if you guys cant under stand mebracing and damping properly -- posted image. im realy good at stuff that is realy tecnicle stuff like acustics, electronics, building stuff. i seem to alot of people to be unuseualy resoursful.
as to the sub im using it is a dayton titanic mkIII 15'' it has grate sq and realy dose good. i only have 380rms watts going to it and it is loud i mean LOUD it shakes all 4 of the walles in my room to the point that they start to make there own resinense sound if i play a tone and then turn it off real quick i can hear the sound waves go down the hall. it is cool i love this thing. and the box that i built sounds fanominal it has grate response and the way i cheaked if i had enufe polyfill in it well it is going to sound weird but i stuck my head in it and talked or made some sourt of noise and i can hear the differense it is amasing you can neire that the polyfill abourbs the noise. like wen i dident have it in it i could talk in it and there woukd be tarible reflection of sound in there so i put the polyfill in there and it gust sucks up the sound amasing stuff.
im pushing the sub with a rythmik audio plate amp 380w rms. im in the proses of testing it to see if that is true but i have to get the right multymeater and a signal reader, but intell then it sound grate and im pritty soure that it puts out what they say it dose. it had realy good specks and the reviews on the site stated from people that had bout them that they were most satisfactery. now i have to make a box for the amp and put a fan in it cuse i want to keep her nice and cool. cuse it has no cover on the back of it and there is a part in there that seams to get hot so im gust going to be nice and add a fan to the encloser.
this pic is the front of the wonderful amp this thing is cool cuse it has these little swiches that you are able to change the damping to low, mid, and high. and there is another one that controles the cut off frequinsy done to 14, 20, or 28hz this a big part of the resen i bout it cuse it had these that no other amp had. it is basicly a changeble rumble filter wich i heeded becuse of me haveing a vented encloser. it came two days early to and that was realy nice.
this pic is of the back of the amp and the black box down in the corner is the one that heats up. im going to make the encloser so i can still se and use the front but gust make a custom back pieace with a fan in it gust cuse it is nice and i want to keep it nice and comfterbul.
and hear is the nice and black pieace of art that dose such a good job. the box eceaded my exspectations when i hoked up the new amp to it. and there is NO port noise whatsoever. but if i was to put the rms of the sub to it there probebly be some but i dont think ill ever do that. and a cool thing with this box is that i used tryangle braces to brace the bottom side and it dosent vibrate at all the box is extreanly strong. so if it is a pritty small space and you still whant to brace it it is alot better and in some cases arciteculy inteligent to use that form of braceing. and i have made a cople of boxes that way and there the same if not better than the other kind of bracing i have used but the box i did it on wasent to big and that is wy i did it, but if you have a big box like the one right hear witch is about 5.801cf then i suggest going with the long way braceing or full side braceing to reinforce it.
thanks you guys for all the compliments and thank you stev i really apreiciate that i have alwas tryed to give as good of info as i can on hear.
o ya and the port is a slot port that raps around the back to the mittle and the end is vary carfully roundes so there is no wistling from it. the port is 4'' wide and 7'' long.sorry for the spelling guys. eny other questions gust post or pm me thanks bracing and damping properly -- posted image.
Aaron DeLong
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
i bet thats one heavy amp! look at the size of that transformer. and those caps are huge too. i know caps weight nothing. hey i didnt mean to embarrass you with the spelling thing. i have a freind who cant write very well either but he don't have a learning prob. he just dont want to learn. what size is that box?
youngone 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 6:11 AM / IP Logged  
its no problem im fine with it i dident take eny offense to the statement. the box is 5.801cf2 and the demestions i dont realy no i can measure and get back to you. and the amp is realy heave it is hard to pick it up.bracing and damping properly -- posted image.
Aaron
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2005 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Don't bother with the fan. It won't be necessary. The box that heats up is the transformer, and it will always be warm. Because it has no heatsinks of it's own, a fan will not remove much heat, will be a waster of power, (a small amount to be sure, but a waster nonetheless) and a possible source of electrical as well as mechanical noise. I personally wouldn't install a fan.
Good enclosure construction techniques, BTW. You build an enclosure just like I do - "When too many screws are just enough screws". bracing and damping properly -- posted image. Serious, not making fun at all! I like the box!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic